Saturday, November 10, 2007

Something in the attic creepeth ... ugh.

This morning Hubs shot a 7-point buck.

While he was traipsing around his deer camp in the pre-dawn hours, I was awakened by a scratching noise here at home.

I assumed it was the dog, who is not the quietest of nighttime companions. After drowsily hissing, "Molly, stop it!" -- which is quite pointless, really, given that the dog is deaf and cannot hear anything but shouted instructions -- I realized that the sounds were coming from above.

I shot up from my pillow and turned on the lamp. Given the volume of the scrabbling -- seriously, it sounded like something was tunneling its way through our unfinished attic -- I half expected to see a hole in the ceiling and some rodenty creature falling through.

I lay there for a half-hour while the mouse-rat-squirrel-whatever romped though the attic.

This evening, while folding clothes in our bedroom, I again heard something -- large -- scuttling overhead.

So yes, while it's all well and good and lovely for Hubs that he got a deer on opening day, I am NOT happy about the wildlife that has infiltrated our home.

As you'll recall, Hubs was on a mission weeks ago to capture whatever has moved in. But after several days of no activity, he lost interest.

In my opinion, the thing was merely biding its time until Hubs headed down to the deer camp, knowing that I wasn't about to set foot in that attic, where I might lay eyes on some beady-eyed and clearly aggressive squirrel. Or possum. Or raccoon.

I no longer harbor any hope that we are being visited by a tiny mouse. Whatever is up there is large.

Whatever is up there must go.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm squirming right along with you, my friend. Oh, I hope it's not a rat! We don't have those here and the thought of them freaks me out.

We heard another Mr. Mousy over here a few weeks ago, but since then, nothing. I'm hoping that he's gone out the way he came in (wishful thinking, I know) and not quietly creating a giant colony underneath the cabinets.

flutter said...

Ok, I am officially completely nervous on your behalf.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I hope it's only a squirrel and not a possum! The squirrel will eat your wiring, but the possum will try to eat you. Those things are mean. And those teeth? Yik.

You better let hubby stay in the woods and call an exterminator!

ShannanB said...

lol. That would freak me out. We had an apartment early in our relationship that had a mouse. The mouse lived in the walls and we were never able to figure out how to get to him. It would creep me out, late at night, when the house was quiet to hear him scurrying around.

Keeping It Real said...

Sounds like you need to stock up on supplies, send the kids away and you and hubs hold an all-night stakeout. Better yet, just let him do it, since he's apparently such a great shot.

Family Adventure said...

Cathy, I'd been wondering about your...ehem...visitor, since you hadn't written about it for a while. I'm sorry it's still there and still *big*. It's time for hubster to go hunting at home, me thinks! Now is a good time. Keep us posted.

Heidi

dawn224 said...

any chance you could just move?

Nadine said...

Even I'm freaked out! Your hubs should totally get up there and catch it, so I can sleep tonight!

Paige said...

Good Lord!!! That is super creepy. I guess we can officially give up on it being a squirrel, huh?