For Hubs, sleep comes easy.
The first time we went on assignment together, we spent an entire day in northeast Arkansas. After numerous interviews and a quick lunch, we dropped by the sheriff's office so that I could talk to someone there about my story.
"I'll just wait here," my photographer said. "Maybe catch a little nap."
I thought he was kidding.
Twenty minutes later, I returned to his pickup and found the man sound asleep.
I have never been able to fall asleep easily. During my single years, I was a night owl, up late on the computer or reading into the wee hours.
For years, ever since I can remember, my habit has been to go to bed and read for a half-hour or so before turning out the light. Since having kids, I have even more trouble dropping off. And I sleep lightly.
Hubs, on the other hand, says, "I'm going to sleep now," rolls over and is snoring within minutes.
Even so, he complains about the lamp being on.
"OK, turn it out now," he'll beg in the minutes before he enters dreamland. Never mind that he'll be asleep before I finish the page. He nags. So lately, I've stayed in the living room, either reading a book or logged onto the computer.
Now he's complaining about that.
It's frustrating, his inability to understand what it's like to have to work to go to sleep. I can't just tuck myself in and turn out the light. I toss. I turn.
I have to read until I'm drowsy. Then I turn out the lamp and pray nothing interrupts me so that I can fall asleep.
Hubs? He totally doesn't get my sleep issues. And I'm tired of listening to him whining about the lamp or whining about the fact that I don't go to bed when he does.
I know a lot of you are up late. I pay attention to the time of postings. It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one sitting up at midnight. So -- do your spouses complain? Are you still up because -- like me -- you just can't sleep?
17 comments:
I must be really mean then. I have trouble dropping off so I make my husband stay out of the room until I am asleep. For if he goes to bed at the same time as me he will be snoring within minutes and the sound makes me ponder smothering him with a pillow just till I can drop off to sleep myself.
I never sleep
Cathy~I've had issues sleeping seemingly forever. The way I knew for sure, that I had a sinus infection last month? I fell asleep at 11PM. Even after trying various sleep meds, they may work for a week or so and then up again. I'm licky because I can sleep until 10AM most days.
I hear ya sistah! My husband sleeps in the bed, I sleep on the couch. Between our different time clocks and his snoring like an angry rhino on top of a jumbo jet landing in the room, it works out better.
Cathy, spooky...you just described us to a TEE. Wow. Down to the nagging to turn the light off!
Thank you. I think I'll print this out, and next time he nags (like tonight), I'll just hand him your post and say 'this is what I think'.
Hope you catch some sleep soon!
Heidi
YES!!!!!
And I totally ditto what Heidi said.
You are SOOOOOO not alone, sista!
I get hormonally induced insomnia at certain times of the month (just LOVE getting old I do LOL). Hubs gets it for some other reason (never identified...I think it's being a Closeted Type A. His B facade melts and his A rushes him like a linebacker). Therefore, we have Coping Mechanisms (since it never happens at the same time). I have those eye covers, he uses a pillow...in other words we compensate and compromise. Worst case at times I go down to the living room.
In short, since we both suffer we don't throw stones in a glass house. ;)
Julie
Using My Words
OMG. I could have written this post. Except you're better at that. :)
I'm a night owl. The husband also likes to stay up late, but has no problem going to sleep. He can also have naps even when he's had 8-10 hours of sleep the night prior. Sleep is like his hobby. Sometimes that irritates me.
It takes me forever to fall asleep, and then, the littlest thing wakes me up and I'm wide awake and taking forever to fall asleep again! So, yes, I can definitely relate!
Yeah...I've got the insomnia, me. Once upon a time, I used to watch an Asian language TV station at 4 am that had Asian language subtitles. I don't know what either of the Asian languages were, but I knew just trying to figure out the storyline helped me drift off.
I'm usually up until 2am each night/morning. Damn internet.
Hubby complains, but has gotten used to it. He also falls asleep practically before his head hits the pillow.
What is it with men? I think its that they have no thoughts to keep them awake. I can't think of any other explanation.
Hubby and I both fall asleep equally easy (we're tired fools!) but he *stays* asleep. I have horrible insomnia that ruins nearly every night for me. Sigh. But the Hubs? He *always* sleeps!!
My hubby falls asleep pretty quickly as well. I can be talking with him one second and the next he's out like lightening.
It must be a guy thing.
Blue Mamma's comment made me almost spit out my drink. Too funny.
We are lucky - V works a physical job, so he falls asleep easily, wakes several times during the night.
I take time to get to sleep, but when I am there I am down - until I am up which can be ridiculously early.
But sometimes we switch - and he leaves the light on for me.
I am exactly like your husband. I say I'm going to sleep and two seconds later I do. But the light MUST be OFF! It drives me crazy when he leaves the light on to read. So not fair, I know, because he lets me read as long as I want, even all night if the book is really good.
Steve's the night owl in our house, but he does that thing where he just says, "Good night," rolls over and is snoring. I hate that! I just can't turn my brain off that fast. Plus he can sleep through the children waking up in the middle of the night, which is a whole other annoying thing...
Scout can sleep through anything - I could flip on the overhead light and run a high school marching band through and he wouldn't wake up.
Baby peeps once and he hits the ceiling though. Which is funny to watch since I"m normally always awake because I. never. sleep.
Post a Comment