Thursday, November 22, 2007

Ahhh ... carb heaven...

I'm not going to carry on too much about our glorious Thanksgiving tradition -- heading over to our friend Amy's house for a potluck dinner -- for fear that illness will strike again.'

Any gathering coordinated by Amy seems to guarantee that some strange, horrible plague will strike '

Her college graduation party: I was on my way to my parents' house, but stopped at hers on the way to partake in the festivities. While a group of us sat in the garage at Amy's Dad's house, drinking moonshine and laughing over our recently acquired wittiness, the flu was taking down Amy's sister, niece and nephew. By the time I staggered out to my car the next morning (WARNING: Moonshine. Chug it, feel the burn, pay for it later. Ugh.)

Anyway, many guests were stricken that weekend with the flu.

At Amy's recent wedding, the flower girl fell ill. Scarlet fever, it turns out. Mothers of children present at the wedding were duly notified.

And then there was last year's thanksgiving, when Amy called to tell me that several of her family members had been throwing up all evening. I hung up the phone and waited. Sure enough, E-Man followed suit.

The next night, Tootie.

So while I had gloated earlier about how little I would have to do -- fix a couple of sides and a dessert --- well, it seems there was a price to pay.

So this year, I'll just say the food was fabulous and a good time was had by all.

To anyone who has fallen ill -- my karma did nothing to yours. Leave me alone. I paid for my gloating last year by cleaning puke off the couch cushions, carpets and bed linens.

I'm going to close right now, thanking Amy profusely for another wonderful turky and party.

(Amy, if anyone get sick this year, don't tell me. I'll find out soon enough on my own, probably 5 minutes after Hubs heads to Louisiana to cover the LSU game.

If you're watching the game and happen to see a tall silver-haired man in a dark green shirt hanging around the endzone with his camera -- that's Hubs.

Me, I'm going to resume sprawling on this comfy couch. My poor digestive system is on overload today. Maybe I'll be able to lay down by midnight.

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Hope you're as stuffed as I am.

8 comments:

Cindy Breninger said...

Hi! I am stuffed and lovin' it! Great blog, it is a lot of fun to read. :)
Cindy
www.adayinthelifeofcindy.blogspot.com

Family Adventure said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Cathy! No jinx, but crossing fingers.

Heidi

Julie Pippert said...

Despite a pre-meal power walk, a post-meal power walk, and child chasing, I am still stuffed to the gills. I may not need to eat for days.

And I am sick.

At least now I know who to blame. ;)

Hope your day was good and the rest of the week is good and HEALTHY.

Julie
Using My Words

Anonymous said...

I wish I were stuffed. You lucky Americans and your two big holidays. No fair! Oh, and what is up with the Scarlet fever? I didn't even think that still existed.

Amy said...

Totally jealous. Our thanksgiving consisted of a restaurant buffet and five hours on 90 East. Glad your day was illness-free.

Anonymous said...

I will be looking for him today as I mind my gumbo and try not to throw my mother out of the house.

Happy Thanksgiving! Glad to hear you had a good day.

Badness Jones said...

What is it with holidays and sick? Last Christmas the flu was so bad, we almost didn't open presents....almost.

Fingers crossed that you've escaped this one!

Kellan said...

Poor Amy - she sounds a lot like me - anytime I ever give an outdoor party, it will rain. We could have been in draught for 10 months and it will rain on the day I give a party. It sounds like it went well this year - I'm glad. Have a good weekend - I plan to just relax as well. See you soon. Kellan