Saturday, December 29, 2007

Someone wake me when January's here, please

Still no power in the master bedroom. (Electricians? They vanish until after New Year's.)

Hubs left Dec. 26 to cover all the practices and events leading up to the Cotton Bowl. He's still sick, however, so I know he's not enjoying all those posh receptions or the free hockey admission tonight, right? Or those premium box seats.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

I do not begrudge him his hotel room. The hotel room with electricity.

My son is over his ear infection.

My daughter, however, caught Hubs' nasty virus and I've had no sleep for the past four nights.

OK, yeah, you got me. I do hate him for his hotel room and uninterrupted sleep.

Hate. Him.

I am coming down with something, likely the same horrible virus.

I watched something the other night -- maybe 48 Hours? -- and at some point people were saying that Christ's birth actually took place in April.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I've spent countless Christmas holidays either being ill or tending to other sick people and NOW they tell me that all these many years we could have been celebrating in the SPRING? When it's warm? When the mall isn't loaded with germs?

So who the hell picked gloomy December, better known as The Month of Colds and Flu?

That's just freaking cruel.

after re-reading this, i'm thinking perhaps my medication needs adjusting

18 comments:

Paige said...

For what little it's worth: I've been begging for January to come since late November.

Nell said...

It's soon, it's very soon, hang in there!

Anonymous said...

The church picked Dec 25th because it was already a pagan holiday. It was a day to celebrate the rebirth of the sun, the days are starting to get longer after the solstice. The church was a great one for doing that, made it easier to convert the pagans to Christianity because they could still keep their holidays and festivals.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I had your Christmas last year, one illness after another for about six weeks, damn near killed me.

Damselfly said...

Come on, January!

I've been so resentful with my husband goes places and I don't....

Hope you don't get sick!

Redneck Mommy said...

I'm nodding my head in agreement. But that's probably because I'm sick as a dog and wishing for sweet relief.

I hate this time of year.

flutter said...

oooof. You need a cabana boy.

Amy said...

Oh my lord, we've been laid low since Thanksgiving, as well. I say you and I skip town and meet somewhere in Mexico where pretty boys serve fruity drinks.

Crazed Nitwit said...

OK sending one very sexy cabana boy to clean, stay awake with sick kids, take care of you in any way you like including running to store to get you more medication!!! His name is Michael. :D

Julie Pippert said...

Well *allegedly* it's supposed to be a relief and something to enjoy in the dog days of winter.

However, it has far exceeded its capacity (did you see my ruination of western civilization *sarcastic* post?) and not all of us have any kind of winter now. In fact, some of us have sprightly pleasant summer weather. Well, what some of us NOT FROM HERE call summer weather. Actual summer is simply a form of torture.

I am sorry you are sick and still down on electricity!

And sans husband.

Hang in there and stay well!

Julie
Using My Words

Misty DawnS said...

Well, I'm back - after being away from the blogosphere for about two weeks... I've caught up on all of your posts, so I don't need to ask how your holidays are going - I wish you a fabulous virus-free, jail-free, fire-free (and fireman aplenty) new year!

carrie said...

What I wouldn't give for a hotel room and some uninterrupted sleep!

Hallelujah!

Hang in there. . .

Family Adventure said...

Argh. Cathy. What's with your husband always being away at the most inopportune times?!

I do not think you need any meds adjusted - your reaction is perfectly reasonable.

Hang in there sweetie. And have a WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!

Heidi

PS: I know that last bit was totally out of context, but I had to kinda acknowledge the day, right?! :)

Kellan said...

That last line had my cracking up! I hope you get your lights back on and some sleep and get to feeling better and mostly I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year - see you later. Kellan

Jen said...

It's here! It's here!

happy New Year!!

theotherbear said...

Perhaps it was an Aussie who decided Christmas should be in December - it is the middle of a hot summer here. Of course that is not so good when you are making a big hot traditional Christmas lunch and the air in the kitchen is almost as hot as in the oven.

Keeping It Real said...

I join you in hating him for his hotel room and sleepless nights. My Princess has this cough that sounds like a hacking horse and it only strikes at night. Anywho, I tagged you, but I see you already saw it. Meant to alert you sooner. Can't wait to read your letter. Happy NY!

Amanda said...

No, you misunderstood, by self-administering the doses that you are, you mightily serve as a salve of sorts for all of us poor fools muddling through the end of the year doldrums.

ShannanB said...

Wow.... I missed a lot. I guess when it rains it pours... Glad it's over now!