Thursday, June 21, 2007

Oh, that crafty, crafty Cathy

At Lindsay of Suburban Turmoil's urging, I headed over here for a little fun with anagrams.

On entering my name, I got this: "Hey! Crafty."

Now if one means crafty in the street-smart, clever sort way, well, yeah, sure, I'll run with that.

But "crafty" as involving Hobby Lobby, glue guns and the like?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I am the woman who hot-glue-gunned her hair to a Christmas-tree ornament. People like me are reason that most things can be bought ready-made.

My lack of interest in arts & crafts never was a problem until --

-- I enrolled my eldest in daycare.

In October 2004, when Tootie was a mere 20 months old, I found a little note in her cubby asking all parents to "help their child" decorate a pumpkin for a Halloween contest.

Hey, this kid still eats her crayons and you want me to offer her a pair of scissors and some Elmer's glue?

Whatever. I bought a pumpkin, some construction paper and stickers, and "we" made a hula dancer. How clever, I thought. How crafty!

Then I arrived at the daycare and -- I kid you not -- some of the other kids' pumpkins were wearing outfits.

Picture it: Dressed-up, glammed-up pumpkins with teeny handmade clothes made by mothers, who, presumably also had full-time jobs.

The Tootie could have cared less. I, however, was humiliated, and I vowed right there, in front of a Cinderella pumpkin wearing a sequined ball gown, that the next project would be different.

And then came the request -- no, the demand -- that the parents, again working with their 2-year-old would-be Mini-Michelangelos -- make shoebox floats for a parade.

What the hell?

So I called my friend, Amy, who refers to herself as the blue-collar Martha Stewart.

"Hey, have you ever heard of shoebox floats?" I asked, reading aloud the latest note.

"Hmmmm..." Amy replied, aleady scouring Internet sites.

She started laughing. Hysterically.

"You should see these things," she cackled. "This might be beyond your ability."

I pulled up a few of the websites and groaned. Shoebox floats are little parade floats -- made from shoeboxes, duh -- designed to be pulled by small children.

And these -- these were quite elaborate. Some of them had actual wheels. The pumpkin-outfitting mothers would have a field day with this.

After some initial panic, I proposed making a float that resembled a wedding cake.

"OK," Amy said.

And then she rattled off a list of what I needed. Unfortunately, by the time she got to tacky glue and decoupage, I was hopelessly lost.

"Can't I just spraypaint it?" I asked.

"Oh, well, yeah, sure," she said, somewhat doubtfully.

This time, Hubs was there to bear witness to my efforts. "Um, why don't I help you?" he suggested. And, after much spraying, gluing and bickering, we finished our shoebox float.

The Tootie, by this point, had been asleep for two hours.

By now, the Hubs and I had learned our lesson. So when we found the note in the cubby about making an animal costume for the annual Christmas pageant -- well, we skipped the pageant.

There have been no such assignments in recent years. A pity, really, because now that the Tootie's older, she can do her own arts & crafts.

And when they look like something created by a 4-year-old ... well, that's because this time, they really were.

5 comments:

OhTheJoys said...

Those daycare people sometimes really get my hackles up with their bold requests.

You are funny!

J. A. Blackburn said...

LOL. You and I are cut from the same cloth, it would appear. I haven't yet glue gunned my hair to a christmas ornament, but the potential is DEFINITELY there!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I am sooo with you on that craft stuff! I'm glad you have learned not to keep on keeping on! That could have been murder by the time the little one reaches middle school!


OK, so I went to the anagram site, and entered This Eclectic Life and got "file chic testicle." So much for that.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

ROTFL. I'm so not crafty. Of course, Dena (my SIL) is and she can't understand why I'm not...

Keeping It Real said...

I'm crafty when I want to be, but that usually doesn't coincide with school and daycare assignments.

I stayed up half the night decorating two shoeboxes for Valentine's Day. Didn't win any awards, but they turned out nicely.