Sunday, June 24, 2007

Mommy has mono

... yet further evidence of my dorkdom. Because, really, who gets mono at age 37?

Yes, it's better than the dreadful Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but still ... how ridiculous.

I mean, mono is supposed to be a childhood illness.

Or, back in the day, something that struck the cool kids in high school, allowing them to stay home for six weeks watching MTV while their classmates bickered over who would be the lucky soul to deliver that day's homework to the ailing basketball star.

So on Friday afternoon, when the nurse called to tell me the mono test had come back positive, I snickered.

"You're kidding, right?"

Oh, no, she assured me. Mono it is.

And apparently, despite having suffered from this stupid relentless virus since Memorial Day, I'm told it could last another FOUR WEEKS. Lovely.

When I told Hubs, his first question was, "How do you get it?"

"Well, remember, this is the one they used to call the kissing disease," I said. "So you've already been exposed. There's nothing you can do about it now."

Pause.

"No," he said. "I'm asking, 'How did YOU get it?'"

I stammered.

He laughed.

I'm quite sure it's yet another ailment the little stinkers have brought home from day care. Like the 72-hour stomach bug the E-man ever so generously shared right before I left to cover New Orleans' first post-Katrina Mardi Gras.

That time, I landed in New Orleans' makeshift ER, a tent city housed in the city's convention center. Despite my misery, I couldn't help but notice the number of young, spectacular-looking doctors and nurses. Or perhaps it was the Phenergan that turned the ER crew into something resembling the Gray's Anatomy cast.

Which brings me to this --

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that most of the doctors we see now are our contemporaries?

Friday, my doctor and I got to talking about the annviersary of Princess Di's death and where we were and he mentioned med school -- and after some quick calculating, I realized there is a distinct possibility that this guy is younger than I am.

Fresh-faced, peppy doctors and mono.

Really, I'm too old for all this.

And am just now realizing I took 12 days of vicious, "cleansing" antibiotics for naught.

12 comments:

J. A. Blackburn said...

oh noooo.... that is a major bummer. and yes, our pediatrician is a Doogie Howser doctor. it's weird.

OhTheJoys said...

Oh, no! I hear it's really quite bad as an adult. I hope you mend quickly!

Keeping It Real said...

I knew a couple of people who had it in high school, but no adults other than you. I guess it's not "cool" anymore, huh, unless you get to spend five paid weeks off work.

moosh in indy. said...

I just got over mono in February, after getting it in November. I was 24...I felt like a mega dork too-and I hear you on the cutie doctor front. Makes it hard to pick a new gyno.

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, if you think doctors seem young to you now, then wait until you are as old as I am! Mononucleosis! And, when your husband asked you how you got it, you didn't ask him if he was a "carrier?" I hope you get feeling better. You must feel relieved because it's not RMSF or bird flu!

Angela Alcala-Bach said...

I know another person who got it as an adult, if that makes you feel better. (And if you consider a twentysomething an adult.)

Jen said...

Mono is wretched. Yikes! And I remember being tended to by some interns (they couldn't possibly have been full-fledged docs) when I was in labor w/ my third. They actually looked like teenagers. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN??

Paige said...

I cannot imagine having mono right now. I hope you feel better soon.

Damselfly said...

The kissing disease!

So, wait, you have both? Or you have mono but not RMSF?

I am laughing because our pediatrician has to be the same age I am. And sometimes I don't trust what he says 100% of the time because of that....

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

They tested me three times for RMSF.

(The second test was "slightly positive" but not enough to make a diagnosis. Hence, the third test...)

On a whim, the doctor also tested for mono. That test, apparently, was quite conclusive!

Actually, I was relieved. Mono sounds a lot less dire than RMSF. All attempts at humor aside, I was pretty freaked out.

(Our pedi also is around my age!)

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

You poor thing. Hope you've already had chicken pox because I hear that's a b*tch to have as an adult!

Anonymous said...

I am 37 and as I have had mono before, I deeply suspect I have it again! How can this be?! I don't even have kids and am not kissing too much! I won't find out until Monday but my neck is hurting and I am tired and have the chills and that pain my left side?! I thought it was gas! I also have the trademark sore throat that makes you feel like someone cut your throat with a knife. Ugh...this is bad.