Friday, June 29, 2007

My shoe fetish...

... is an odd one.

Because it's not women's shoes that evoke longing in me.

It's my kids' old, ratty, outgrown ones. Like Tootie's first pair of "walking" shoes. Or the E-man's dirty little tennis shoes. Or both kids' crumbling sandals from summers past.

My dark secret — I have never yet given or thrown away a single pair of their shoes.

Instead, they're stacked on shelves in the children's closets, tucked into baby boxes or clustered in a heap on my own closet floor.

Silly, I know. It's just that each tiny pair holds so many memories:

The E-man's former double life, during which he walked at daycare, yet still crawled at home.

The Tootie's insistence on wearing her grubby, too-small sandals in 30-degree weather.

The hot pink cowboy boots, now scuffed and torn, a reward for Tootie when she finally agreed to give all her pacifiers to the Mee-Mee Fairy (who distributes old "mee-mees" to the younger babies in need of them — heh).


I remember laying in bed that winter morning, listening to her squeals when she found her fairy-delivered boots. And laughing when I heard the awkward clomp-clomp that followed.

It's been more than a year since Tootie could cram her feet into those boots. But every time I spot them on her closet floor, I smile, remembering the toddler who marched so proudly up and down the hallway in her cowgirl attire.



And then my heart hurts, just a little.

8 comments:

Keeping It Real said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keeping It Real said...

I used to feel sort of an attachment to almost everything I bought my kids, but not that I'm practically tripping over shoes and other sh**, I'd pay someone to come and take it all away.

Anonymous said...

Aw. I still have some of my daughter's shoes too, but it's more because I paid so much for them I can't bear to throw them out. Perhaps I should pretend to be sentimental instead so people don't find out I'm cheap?

Anonymous said...

It's the preemie onesies and tiny socks that make me ache, if only because they were a reminder of just how small Avery was at one time.

Only recently did I pack them up and put them in the attic.

moosh in indy. said...

Not only do I love and keep all shoes like you, I ADORE stinky baby feet.
I buy shoes on purpose that I know will make stinky feet.

Anonymous said...

First: I LOVE the new header picture!
Second: You are not weird to hold on to the memories by saving shoes (however if you sniff the shoes, that's a different story).
Third: Those are some rockin' cowgirl boots! They deserve at the very least to have some bluebonnets and a pink bandana stuffed into them, and have them displayed on the bookshelf!
Fourth: I love the Mee-Mee Fairy!
Great post. As usual.

Damselfly said...

I would definitely have to keep boots like that!

Dig your new blog look!

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Thanks, all. Hubs shot the picture for my new banner and did a little Photoshop work as well -- all for me.

OK, well, maybe more for himself, as he still clearly thinks there's the possibility for a little bow-chicka-bow ... etc... etc... in his very near future.

All right, yes, dammit. I lead him on heartlessly, just so he will do my bidding.