Saturday, May 19, 2007

Tale of the Little Mullet Boy

It started on Easter weekend. (Yes, my son is hunting for eggs in camo. It pains me too. But focus on the hair.)



Over and over, one in-law after the other, remarked — in that tone — "That boy needs a haircut."

It was longish, yes, but when it wasn't windy, the E-man's hair curled itself into adorable little ringlets. (Insert shudder from Hubs and his ringlet-disapproving family here.)

But look — adorable, yes?



Eventually, however, even I, admirer of the blonde ringlets, had to admit the boy was developing .. well ... a mullet.

Still, outside opinions were needed. So at a Saturday night newsroom gathering, I polled those congregating around the grill. Much beer had been consumed, but a few party-goers seemed sober enough to cast judgment.

And thus I learned my sweet, little Lord Fauntleroy angel, possessor of golden lovelocks, was indeed sporting a mullet.



Not that there's anything wrong with mullets. It's just not the look I wanted to cultivate for my boy. Living in Arkansas and all ... I mean, it's bad enough that his father dresses him in hunting garb.

To hunt for fucking pastel Easter eggs. But I digress.

Sunday we headed in for the first shearing. Hubs had a camera. I had a little baggie for ringlet-capturing. I figured it would be a quick process. The Tootie, at her first haircut, sat somberly while the trim took place.

The Little Mullet Boy, however, was most displeased, as evidenced here:



And here:



By the time we got to this stage —



— the E-man was nearly mulletless.

I have no final photo, however, of his newly trimmed self, as Hubs was required to put down the camera and wrestle with a seriously pissed-off E-man.

And I, once the proud mother of the Happy-Hippy-Boy-of-Golden-Curls-turned-Mini-Mullet-Man, was scrabbling around on the floor, throwing damp clumps of hair into a wrinkled baggie.

(But you know, now that it's been trimmed, there's even more wave ...)

Heh.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! That brings back such wonderful memories of my own mullet boys! I hated cutting the ringlets, too (after theirs were gone, the hair went straight!) Fun post. Thanks for sharing the E-man's haircut.
About the camo: I need to find an article to send along. Camo on small children is NOT good. If that boy were to get lost (God forbid) wearing camo, he would be harder for searchers to find. Use that as an argument with his Daddy, and maybe that will work.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Poor guy. I love it when people take pics of milestone events like this!

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

BTW - I think he looks great. I meant "poor guy" because he didn't look so thrilled with the haircut process.

moosh in indy. said...

My kid had a mullet disguised by curls too, in fact she probably still does. Let's home those curls never go away.
*fingers crossed*

moosh in indy. said...

hope, sheesh, all this mullet talk has dumbed me down a notch.

OhTheJoys said...

Aw. What a milestone! Baby's first loss of mullet!

Damselfly said...

I think he looks great no matter what!