We had just started dating, and Hubs was intent on getting some action. Unfortunately, so was Molly, who, at some point, leaped onto the bed. Being a bit preoccupied at the time, I didn't notice.
Only weeks later -- at a PARTY, in front of all our friends -- did Hubs finally mention that my dog had tried to molest him.
Still, he was a good sport. (OK, he wasn't THAT accomodating, people. Poor phrasing on my part.) I'm just saying -- he was willing to overlook the incident, labeling it a lone instance of aberrant behavior.
Until I moved in with him and Molly started humping his bed pillows.
Hubs freaked. The dog's private parts, after all, had touched the place on which he laid his head.
Once he stopped hyperventilating, however, Hubs experienced a flash of man-genius. He would build a bed! One too high for Molly to leap upon! Yes!
So he used his Mighty Man Powers to construct a VERY BIG BED -- a bed that I spent the next month toppling out of every time I got up to pee in the middle of the night.
Hubs was so proud, so pleased, I just didn't have the heart to tell him that Molly had learned how to scramble up onto the bed. Or that she was still doing the wild thing with his bedding.
One morning, however, he caught her in mid-hump. From then on, he stashed his pillows on a closet shelf before leaving for work each morning.
Over the years, similar battles ensued, one involving a chair favored by both Hubs and the dog; another involving Hubs' prized deer antlers, which, apparently, the dog rather fancied. As a snack.
Alpha Hubs vs the Alpha Dog.
And hmmm... who to root for?
We have, here, the Hubs, a rather attractive guy, I must admit.

(And just look at what cute children his genes have helped produce! Sorry. Bragging rights. I'm done.)
But now look below, at the adorable, furry creature with whom I've had the longest relationship. E-V-E-R. Such a patient loyal dog, especially given some of the boyfriends she had to tolerate before Hubs and his irresistible manhood came along.
In recent years, we've learned to compromise, the Hubs and I. There are now limits as to which furniture may be occupied by the dog, although arthritis in one hip has left her unable to climb the bed these days.
I think.
A few weeks ago, I found a suspiciously scrunched-up pillow on Hubs' side of the bed.
But I'm not telling.
4 comments:
Gasp! Is that a border collie? Nuff said. My favorite pet of all time was a border collie. But yes, they can be extremely alpha....
Australian shepherd, actually, but the two are very similar in nature!
wow.. disgusting, but toooooooo funny! great post! yes brag all day about your honey! you are lucky =)
Post a Comment