Thursday, April 17, 2008

A dose of Dolly

My dad's from east Tennessee, so I grew up listening to Dolly. To say that I heart her -- well, that would be an understatement.

When I found out this season's American Idol contenders would be singing Dolly songs, well, Hubs and I tussled over the television that night. (He likes her too. He's not so fond, however, of AI.)

And then tonight, I stumbled across her on the Biography Channel. And Hubs lost the TV again.

There's a Dolly song for each phase of my life. But this one -- the original version, not the one from Straight Talk -- is one that I played over and over ... in my 20s, my 30s ... from South Texas to West Texas to, well, here.

I adore that woman.

*sigh*

10 comments:

cara said...

I love love love Dolly too. She's fabulous. And she seems like such a lovely person. Oh I adore her!

ShannanB said...

She does rock. What a great song. I had completely forgotten about Straight Talk. I am going to have to watch that again.

Anonymous said...

When I was younger, my favorite album was the soundtrack to Littlest Whorehouse in Texas. My grandmother used to listen to it on the drive out to the lake in summer. She thought it was hilarious that I liked it so much.

Anonymous said...

Love. Dolly. Love her.

How can you not love her?

Julie Pippert said...

How can you not like Dolly?

That's like saying, I hate cake. Or bubbles. or SUNSHINE.

I don't even like country music in general and I like Dolly (and Willie).

I admit it. I totally downloaded "Here you come again" from iTunes.

Anonymous said...

Me too me too me too! I have all her albums! Er... I mean, CD's. I have all her CD's!

MadMad said...

SHADDUP! You, too? I didn't know we were allowed to ADMIT we liked her, out loud, like. She has an amazing voice, doesn't she? I didn't love her on Idol, though, for some reason. But it was probably stupid Idol's fault, right?

Anonymous said...

Golly, I love Dolly too.

She's my favorite. Always has been.

But I refused to watch those kids on Idol butcher her catalogue.

Misty DawnS said...

For my step-daughter, Dolly is:'most loved person-oh my gosh she is the greatest-oh I love her so much-she is the coolest person ever' ;-) So, for her high school graduation gift, we took her to Nashville and Dollywood. My step-daughter has not stopped talking about that trip yet. We had a blast and made a lot of memories. In fact, her graduation from college is next month, so we keep trying to convince Hubs that we should go back to Nashville for this graduation too ;-)

carrie said...

Even she can crack a non-country music listening girl like me!

She does have a beautiful voice.