Thursday, April 03, 2008

Only seconds

I've seen this photo -- Fire on Marlborough Street -- many times over the years, most recently on the cover of my husband's News Photographer magazine.

The magazine, in chronicling the most memorable photographs, included two other pictures taken just before the woman and child fell.

The photographer's first shot shows a fireman standing with the frightened pair. Just a click later, the fireman now dangles from a ladder as the structure collapses beneath him and the victims he was trying to save.

And then there's the above photo, which won a Pulitzer in 1975.

It's heartbreaking — how only a few seconds determined whether this woman, only 19, would live or die. According to News Photographer, the little girl lived because she landed on the woman, who was her aunt.

A few more seconds, and the firefighter would have had them on the ladder, on their way to safety.

As a reporter, I usually arrive after tragedy strikes. I'm the one knocking on the door and asking to talk to the mother of a little girl who was killed by a drunk driver — only seconds after she stepped off the school bus.

Only seconds.

The little girl's brother was right behind her. He felt the whoosh of the SUV as it whizzed by him. He watched his sister's schoolwork flutter to the ground. He remained frozen, in the middle of a rural two-lane highway, trying to figure out whether to run to his dying sister or up to the house for his mother.

Can you imagine having to make that sort of call? He was only 15.

My husband has been a news photographer since the early 80s. He's taken thousands of "after" photos. He's also been there as tragedy unfolds. The camera offers a little distance. But my husband often dwells on what he saw seconds before he started shooting.

Or seconds after.

When we drive through town, he remembers where wrecks occurred, where bodies were found, where grieving family members threw themselves on the pavement and cried.

I cannot imagine, not even from my own jaded perspective.

Before we started dating, I remember Hubs walking back into the newsroom, visibly shaken, having just photographed a crime scene that involved a father who had slammed his toddler, head-first, against the asphalt. Repeatedly.

This is the photo Hubs shot.



A few years later, I saw my husband cry for the first time when we returned to New York for the first anniversary of 9/11.

Tears streamed down his cheeks as he took this picture.



I can search our photo archives here at work and there are hundreds Hubs has taken of fires and their victims.

Like this one.



That time, seconds worked in the firefighters' favor.

I often wonder when Hubs will decide he's done, if he will ever put down the camera, or maybe use it in another field.

But then I see pictures like these. And I so hope he doesn't.



16 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Photographs are powerful. So are your words.

They combine to make us feel like we are right there, in the moment, whether we want to be or not.

Thanks for a wonderful post.

Stella Dean said...

Beautifully written.

Anonymous said...

Everytime you post his work, I'm in awe.

He's got an amazing gift.

Amy said...

What a pair you are, both of you. So talented, and well I know, so very strong. It is hard on the heart to tell these stories, yes? But then there are the great moments. The happy moments, like the last two shots.

Wonderful, Cathy.

Amie Adams said...

This is an amazing post. The photos...your words...

I know this is going to stick with me for a while.

Pgoodness said...

That was fantastic - the writing and the photos. Gifts, both of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here completely frozen. Stunned.

The thing about this world is when you open yourself up, it hurts. You let your guard down for a second and you let images like this in and you remember that people everywhere are suffering right this second. It's a visceral reaction and it hurts and I don't like it. I don't want to feel it.

But I know I have to. That's why what you and your husband do is so important.

God, though. You know?

flutter said...

Absolutely powerful.

Family Adventure said...

Wow. To his photos, and your description of the whoosh.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Worth a thousand words they say...they weren't talking about your words obviously. Amazing writing, amazing photography. Left me in tears.

I haven't heard reports of any major injuries or deaths from last night's excitement down there. Hope you guys and your stuff came through unscathed. Did hubby cover the results?

Mom of 5 said...

That is one of the most touching blog entries I've ever read. You truly do have a gift for writing. Wow.

cara said...

This is such a real portrayal of the struggle of being a journalist or photojournalist and something that my boyfriend and I think about a lot. Both of us have spent many years wanting to work for the press but honestly, I don't know if I could do it.

Reading this really moved me. You're a beautiful writer.

Misty DawnS said...

Wow - my body is covered in goosebumps and I have tears streaming down my face. What an emotional post!

carrie said...

As you can imagine (since my husband is a firefighter), I am at a loss for words.

The memories they carry with them of the tragedies is such a heavy burden to bear.

I'm glad your husband is able to capture the good, along with the bad. The yin and the yang are what make us human, after all.

Beautiful, truthful photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

carrie said...

And you, too. Thank you for being there to write the stories.

jeanie said...

My sister was also a news photographer in a small country town - the job doubled as the police forensic photographer on occasion.

Years later, she wore both the journalist and photographer hats for another country town newspaper.

Some of what she saw and experienced was harrowing - but there are also, as you pointed out, moments of great joy.