I see her once, maybe twice, a week -- the tall woman with a smooth, glossy, blond bob and wide, white smile.
She -- I'll call her Laura -- runs her own business, quite successfully from what I hear. Has a 3 year-old daughter with dimples and a mop of curls. My son adores Laura's little girl, talks about her all the time.
I don't know Laura real well. We've share only hurried exchanges at daycare pickups and birthday parties. But she's the type who always goes out of her way to greet people, even when it's clear she's in a rush.
Laura strode into today's birthday celebration in her usual confident fashion, calling out greetings and flashing that smile.
A few minutes into a light-hearted conversation, she told me that our last round of tornadoes hit her house. She and her little girl huddled in the bathtub as shingles popped off the roof and a tree punctured their home. "It did $40,000 worth of damage," she said. "And now my daughter's afraid to sleep alone. She's been in my bed every night."
I wondered again about the husband. I know there is one, but I've never seen him at the daycare. He wasn't at his daughter's birthday party a few months ago. On that February afternoon, I overheard a man asking if Laura needed anything.
She teared up, thanked him, said they were doing fine.
I speculated silently. Maybe she's recently separated. Maybe something happened to her husband -- an accident?
But the tears were gone in an instant. "OK, honey," she said to her daughter, clapping her hands together. "Let's finish opening these presents!"
In the weeks after that party, I saw Laura several times. She didn't act like anything was wrong. I wondered if I had imagined that moment at her daughter's party.
One day, a few weeks ago, after she flew down the hall after her runaway daughter, she called out to me from her car window -- "Hey! I didn't mean to be rude. You know how these guys are once they're let out!" She laughed and gestured toward her child. "So how are you doing?"
We chatted a few minutes, and then she pulled away, throwing a breezy wave as she drove down the street.
Today, even as she described the tornado, she was upbeat. "It could have been so much worse," she explained, describing the devastation at her neighbors' homes.
She shared a funny anecdote about her daughter. She talked about her shop. She asked about everyone else's kids.
About thirty minutes into the party, as the kids ate their cake and ice cream, Laura leaned into a group of mothers and said, "He's coming home."
One shrieked and offered a hug. Another said, "Your husband?"
Laura saw my look of puzzlement. "From Iraq," she said. "He's coming home on emergency leave."
Her eyes filled with tears. "This tornado ... the house ... I can't do it all by myself."
She said her husband is due in Tuesday, for a two-week leave. Their daughter doesn't know yet.
Just in case.
Laura cried again when she told us he would have to go back at the end of his leave. Then, swiftly, furtively, she wiped her eyes.
"How's that cake?!" she called out to her daughter.
As the party drew to a close, I watched her stride out the door, laughing and waving goodbye, and I marveled again at how strong we women are.
Laura told us she couldn't do it by herself. But she already has -- from the moment her husband left the airbase, through the lonely evenings and the worrying news reports, to the terrifying night she spent with her toddler in the bathtub.
She can. And she will.
24 comments:
Ohmygoodness. Talk about putting things into perspective....
phenomenal woman. Your intuition about her was right on
I can't even imagine...
Heidi
We are indeed stronger than we think!
As always, you have such a wonderful way with words. You really know how to tell a story!
Wow, what strength. I can't even begin to imagine.
You do have a wonderful storytelling way with you - really flesh it out to give the real without going over too much.
I hope that he returns safely and she can get through it all okay.
Talk about a stiff upper lip.
Wonderful story.
It's post like these that made me fall in love with your blog! Beautiful post, about a woman with more strength than I can ever imagine. Thanks for writing that!
Wow. Your description of this brave woman was so well-done. I can't imagine parenting by myself on a normal day - let alone one where a tornado hit my house! She sounds so strong.
We never really do know do we? We all carry unspoken burdens, you are beautiful to so honestly paint this woman's story. A reminder. Thank you.
Makes a little poop on the floor seem like not such a big deal.
Wow.
What a story, situation and lady.
I know women are stronger than men. We give birth. We get to take care of our kids even if we're ill and we do it. I never thought I could survive losing a child but here I am 12 years later and doing fairly well.
The woman in your story sounds like an incredible person.
I wish I had your storytelling talent. I could have made my murder in my old neighborhood more interesting.
Thanks Cathy for sharing your incredible stories of incredible women.
Hugs.
How I wish he could stay home!
I love when you share others stories on your blog, it's like a window into another world.
My heart breaks for her.
Damn, you are a good writer. Off to get some Kleenex.
Crying. Thanks.
You are a fantastic spinner of yarns.
*snif* What a story.
That little girl has an amazing mommy. I'm happy for her that she has such strong arms to hold her and I hope daddy comes home for good very soon.
Gorgeous post. Off to hug my baby.
This post is something that you need to submit to as many magazines as possible. It's beautiful, a perfect testament to the strength of women, and how, so often, we can go on only because we must.
Brilliantly done.
You really gotta hand it to military families. They are amazing in every way.
Wow. I don't even have the words - just wow. All my blessings to her, her husband and her family.
Beautifully written, as always.
Wow. I am completely speechless. That woman has my respect, my admiration, and my prayers.
omygoodness, this made me cry.
That was beautiful- Thank you.
Post a Comment