Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Enough already!

It started with the Feb. 5 tornado, which remained on the ground for 123 miles -- through the freaking mountains, for pete's sake.

In March, we moved on to flooding. Half the state has been declared a federal disaster area.

Last week, tornadoes tore through several large cities -- from Hot Springs to Little Rock. Just as people were emerging from their damaged homes and trailers, they were warned to seek shelter yet again because round two was on the way. Tornado sirens blared across the state for several hours.

This week, it's rained. And rained. Tonight, the tornado warnings are again in place. And we've been told tomorrow's weather will be severe -- thunderstorms, possible tornadoes and hail.

Until I had kids, I never fretted much about tornadoes. I mean, really, there's not much you can do. And as a reporter -- well, storm-chasing is pretty exciting. (Unless you happen to encounter a flock of newly freed sheep congregating in the highway and accidentally kill eight of them with your Isuzu pickup. *ahem*)

Now, however, I have the wee ones to consider. And given my line of work, the new difficulties involve more than just dragging a mattress into the hallway and emptying the bathtub of its toys.

As last week's tornadoes ripped through town, Hubs and several other photographers were out in the storms shooting damage, seeking shelter, shooting damage, seeking shelter, repeat umpteen times.

One poor photographer was taking both pictures and phone calls from his frantic wife, who was huddled in a closet with several kids wearing bicycle helmets. (No, people, that was not me. My specialty fixation involves bird flu, not natural disasters.)

Meanwhile, the city desk was calling me here --

"Yeah, Cathy, can you be on call if we need more reporters?"

"Sure!" I chirped.

Uh, dude. Don't you have two kids sleeping in the next room? What exactly do you plan on doing? Bundling them into the car so that you can chase twisters? Stoooopid.

"Uh, once Hubs gets back, I mean."

I spent the night calling my spouse with the latest reports. No big deal except that the E-man had awakened, which meant that I had to sound extraordinarily calm each time I called.

Normally, such a call would sound like this: "Hey! A tornado just went over the National Weather Service's offices! Get the hell over there!"

Instead, I had to run with a less exclamatory version: "You might want to check in the vicinity of the National Weather Service's offices."

Through it all, the E-man clung like a burr. The repeated tornado sirens did not help.
(I am most grateful for said sirens, however. Don't get me wrong.)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's a difficult balancing act sometimes, this business of mothering and newspapering.

Still, I love both elements of my life.

So -- I'm checking the weather one more time and then it's off to bed, with the assumption that I'll be wandering around my poor, waterlogged state in the morning.

People here are weary and worried. So if Mother Nature could give us a break in the near future, we would be most grateful.

A few photos from Hubs --

First, a deer swimming in floodwaters...



This was taken in Little Rock...



This is from south Arkansas...



'Night all. Here's to a few hours' sleep without the blare of tornado sirens.

16 comments:

flutter said...

Oh lordy, woman! Be safe

carrie said...

Yes, be safe indeed. I'll be thinking of you all.

Anonymous said...

Stay safe.

I understand your delicate and complicated balancing act, and the joy of it too. Like you, I love what I do.

So...there you go.

Family Adventure said...

The weather is crazy at the moment...and add parenting onto that, and you're looking at a whole other dimension.

Stay safe! All of you!

Heidi

Jen said...

Stay safe - you and your family. Those pictures were amazing. And dude - you killed eight sheep? Snort.

Moxie Mom said...

Holy Lord—Love a duck!

Never been in or seen a Tornado, unless Helen Hunt was in front of it with Bill Paxton—Never miss that movie.

hugs

Crazed Nitwit said...

I am happy to be away from living in tornado zones, earthquake zones, hurricane zones. It is so nerve racking Cathy to live with tornadoes.

Hugs and I'm very happy you and your family is safe.

Very good pictures by the hubby. So informative and with a certain beauty in them as well.

Anonymous said...

Good grief.

(Really? About the sheep?)

Good grief.

STAY SAFE.

Becca said...

We had crazy weather in DFW overnight, too. I had to do the same thing -- balance my work schedule to go in at 1 a.m. (5 hours earlier) so I could update our Website with the latest info (all while my TV photog husband stayed at home with the kids -- rushing home after his nightshift so I could go into work). Fun, but not fun. I'm exhausted and having a relapse of this flu-like mess. Yuk! We have a birthday party to clean the house and stuff goodie bags for AND a school volunteer project due tomorrow. Think I'm calling in sick.

ShannanB said...

Wow those photos bring back such memories. I had just moved from Iowa when the major floods occured - 93/94. It was so hard to go home and see everything underwater. My heart goes out toeveryone down there.

jeanie said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I really feel for you right now. I have never had the live tornado experience. The worst was a cyclone (which gives you ample warning) that allowed water to get in the wiring and set off the fire alarm at my boarding school 6 times one night.

Lots of hugs and good luck.

Julie Pippert said...

You guys have been slammed. I hope you weather it all right---no pun intended.

P.S. The bike helmet thing is pretty ingenious.

Nadine said...

Be safe! I enjoy reading your blog, so don't get eaten by a tornado!

MadMad said...

Um.... eight sheep? All at once? Or was there backing up involved? Stay safe!

Misty DawnS said...

Take care of yourself! We had the tornado warnings/watches all day yesterday and last night here in Missouri (no sirens though, so I was out taking pictures). It's been raining and windy, but then it changes to windy and raining ;-) OH and we had hail too! So, at least we've got variety.

Damselfly said...

Wow! I had no idea. I must be living under a rock. What can we do for you? Seriously?