February, despite being my birthday month (psst...I recently turned 38), is my low point each year. It brings depression, bouts of weepiness and a violent hatred of the cold and rain.
A mere forecast is enough to ruin my day.
So of course, when I decided to embark on the reproductive path, I delivered not one, but TWO babies in ... February.
Talk about one helluva maternity leave.
Hello Postpartum! Meet my dear friends, Depression and Anxiety. We're going to have wonderful time together during these next few weeks! Oh, and look! We're going to get rain and snow and ice the entire time Cathy will be home with the baby. Perfecto! Let the sobbing begin!
Which brings me to one of the nicest things my husband has ever done for me.
Realizing that I was wallowing in despair, Hubs asked several of my friends to get me out of the house. Bear in mind that our new baby very much preferred the boob to bottles and wouldn't stop shrieking until the right nipple was placed before her. In other words, Hubs knew what he was in for.
Even so, he made some calls, stopped by desks and rallied the estrogen troops.
"We're taking you out to eat tonight," one girlfriend informed me. And then a group of women pried me from my spitup-stained couch and dragged me out the door.
It was a reprieve I dearly needed, but new motherhood, fear and guilt had kept me confined to my house.
I remember how disoriented I felt at first -- the lights, the chatter, the drinks. And I remember how much better I felt when I returned home just in time for 10 p.m. nursing.
"She did fine," my husband said.
I know he lied, to spare me any guilt.
So why am I telling you this story? Because I'm PMSing. And it's one of those nights when I have to remind myself that I really do like the guy. Even when he keeps breathing in my direction.
18 comments:
Oh I've had those days! I keep little notes that I've gotten from DH and I just read them over when I'm mad at him...
It helps most of the time... but then again so does staying in another room from wherever he is at that moment. ;0)
Yes, they can be nice once in a while, can't they? Mine has been looking for his cell phone for thrity minutes, convinced that I did something with it.
Indeed, what a guy!!
LOL@ "Even when he keeps breathing in my direction."
Wow, what a great guy and a great thing he did for you!
Glad I'm not the only one who gets weepy and depressed through February. I usually come out of it around April...
The special ones know just when to give you a reprieve.
You definitely married a keeper.
:-)
Oh I hate it when they breathe in our general direction.
Hang in there friend!
Don't you freaking hate when they have the da*& nerve to breathe?!?! I tell ya, they really push the limits sometimes! ;-)
Be grateful you're not in the middle of a move with said great guy................oh wait! That's ME! Sorry. Back to you.
Too darn bad they need to breath at all, ey? ;)
Sounds like a wonderful man...even though he insists on all that breathing!
Aw, what a great guy! I can imagine Steve doing something similar, except without sparing the guilt, which is really the best part. You lucky woman, you!
And Happy Belated Birthday!
(Did I say happy birthday last month? Here it is in case not!)
Now THAT'S a whole lotta "get outta PMS free' points right there, my friend.
You would think they would KNOW to stay a good ten paces back during this sensitive lunar phase.
Men! I love them, but the training just never ends!
February is a big stinker, isn't it? I never understand this; I keep thinking it should be a good month - nobody makes you do yard work or have window boxes, or decorations of some sort; you don't have to put on a bathing suit or schlep stuff to a beach or pool, it's not hot... by all rights it should be great. But it never is...
I like your attitude of finding good even when FEBRUARY/WINTER SUCKS. Hang in there...spring (had flipping better be) around the corner.
Awwww
That is great.
Snicker. My husband keeps breathing on me too...lol.
Post a Comment