The first little figure materializes at the side of my bed around 3:30 a.m.
"I had a bad dream," she says, as distant thunder rumbles.
She clambers up and tucks herself beside me, cold tiny feet pressed against the small of my back.
I drowse. Until the second figure appears, again at my side of the bed.
"Mommy, I sceeered," he says. And then, outraged to find his sister already sprawled next to me -- "That's my spot! My spot!"
Hubs rolls over and pulls the still-sleeping child to his side while the second assumes the warm spot she leaves behind. "Mama's hair," he murmurs, and thus begins the stroking and tugging that occurs anytime he sleeps near me. For the rest of the night, he will curl himself around my head, comma-like, and nest there, fingers still wound tightly in my hair.
Every so often, I'll hear my oldest whispering in her sleep and the snuffling of my toddler.
And even though I know there will no more rest in these early-morning hours, I snuggle them closer, comforted by the sweet smell of my little one's blankie and the occasional soft snore from my little girl.
17 comments:
Exactly right.
Heidi
What a sweet image, Arkie Mama.
While it is uncomfortable and can lead to sleepless times, the security of your child being able to sneak in when scared does give a warm glow.
You made me all warm inside. Beautiful post that shows one of the many little treasures of parenthood.
Very, very nice!
How sweet. I love that feeling.
Nice!
I try to remind myself that they won't be wanting to come into my bed in the mornings for much longer.
I had a similar morning.
Although I grumble about losing sleep, I KNOW when I'm 90 and need comfort I will close my eyes and think of the beautiful sensation of my baby girl sleeping next to me.
Sych a sweet picture you have written of Cathy. Sigh. I miss.......all that. :)
Oh honey, this is so beautiful
What a beautiful moment you just shared with us.
Enjoy this time it goes wayyyy too fast. My girls are too big to crawl in bed with me now but I wish I'd enjoyed those times more.
So sweet. How can snuggly kids be both a hearty joy and a tiny nuisance?
Confession: I sometimes go get a kid to sleep with when I can't sleep.
A comma -- that's exactly what it is. I love it. Just lovely.
Aw. I hope Fly will do that someday.
Right now, it's my husband's cat who curls herself around his head....
I love it when the boys curl up in bed with us.
Nothing makes me sleep better or happier.
As long as they don't happen too often, I do love those snuggly nights. Very sweet post.
So close, so intimate -- I wonder how much longer we'll be able to share these moments with them?
Thanks for this Cathy, it was beautifully said.
Post a Comment