I raised my eyebrows when he started talking about buying lumber. "Um ... how much would that cost?" I asked in that tone.
(Read: It's another two weeks until payday. Ah, the journalist's life.)
Hubs wandered outside to think.
An hour later, I found him yanking up boards in the backyard. These boards were used by the previous homeowner for a middle-of-the-yard deck that boasted a birdbath, outdoor shower and a rusting basketball goal. (We have no idea. But trust me, we have certainly done some speculating.)
The kids came outside to see what was going on.
"You'll be swinging by this afternoon," Hubs promised.
So he sawed and hammered. All day, two little people stood outside, watching.
At 5 p.m., Hubs declared the swingset finished. Ecstatic, the kids claimed their swings.
It made me think -- I spend all this time thinking about what we don't have, and yet here's a daddy who spent his whole Sunday piecing together some old planks so that his kids would have a place to swing.
And I am grateful.

22 comments:
You are lucky. My husband's been promising to build some bookcases for six years and a swingset for three.
Wow! He did a GREAT job!! I am VERY impressed.
I wish my hubby was good with building things. But when it comes to that, he has too left hands. But he vacuums cleans,cooks and irons, so I'm not complaining ;)
What a happy post! Thanks for making me smile. :)
Wow! It looks like he did a great job! And by all the smiles it looks like the whole family approves.
Wow! That's impressive! And you recycled ;)
I bet the kids are thrilled with their new swingset!
What a good hubby. Mine would do the same. Anything for our girl.
It's handy to have a handy husband isn't it?
Good for him.
And even better for the kids.
I love a Can-Do kind of guy! Can I rent him? Mine is more of a Can't-Do sort of feller...sigh!
Hold on to that man. He's a keeper!
That is INSANE? Can I rent him????
That is awesome!
And they look so incredibly happy (and you do too!)!
That is so fantastic! What a great thing he did. Look at those happy little faces. All the joy, all the reward.
(We have the same swings. :) )
There is a swingset project in my husband's future.
I think we will need to bring you guys out here because my man cannot do this alone...
That is incredible! And they look like they're having so much fun!
That is awesome!
My husband is the king of starting, but never finishing anything. If that were my back yard, there would be 2 pieces of lumber with some nails sticking out of it, for the next 10 years.
Fabulous job!! Look at those faces.
Heidi
That is awesome!
Ha! And here I am thinking that they just come ready to assemble... That's great!
What a wonderful daddy! My husband comes up with all kinds of projects and ideas too... they all get 1/2 to 3/4 done until he moves on to the next thing ;-)
Wow. I'm just amazed. Amazed!
There should be a Survivor for dads....
Great post! Sounds like you're all lucky to have him...
Perfect!
Post a Comment