Today you are 5. You talk excitedly of going to "kin-ter-gar-ten."
Meanwhile, I'm searching for traces of your baby self. Sometimes, when you are sleeping, I still see my infant Tootie ... in the lingering roundness of your cheeks and those curled, little fists.
As a baby, you spent nights pressed against me, content to know the Milk Bar was close by.
Now you lay in your own bed, propped up among your pillows and animals, drawing mermaids in your sketchbook until it's time for the lights to go out.
Often, we come into your bedroom to find that you have fallen asleep with a marker still clutched in one hand, sketchbook open across your lap.
I remember the early days of motherhood, disorienting and hazy, how I focused on just getting through each 2 a.m. feeding. I waited anxiously for each milestone, noting your accomplishments in your baby book and a nursery wall calendar.
Now I'm skidding along on my heels, searching frantically for the pause button.
I take joy in your accomplishments. At the same time, if you want to keep calling the computer a "compooter" -- well, that's just fine with me.



Happy birthday, precious girl.
Love, Mommy
23 comments:
what a doll.
Oh, happy mumiversary to you too!
In the last five years you have probably changed in her eyes too.
She is a precious girl - Happy Birthday to your sweet baby girl!! What a sweet post Cathy. I hope she has the best Birthday ever! Take care - Kellan
Happy birthday to the sweet little lady!
Cathy, you made me bawl with this one. Such a sweet post.
-andi
The second last picture is *amazing* Cathy. I challenge anyone to look at that picture and not feel all warm and happy inside.
Happy Birthday little Girl. And good luck in kin-ter-gar-ten!
Heidi :)
Happy Birthday to your sweet baby! The time sure does fly!
How adorable. Happy birthday to your little one.
Happy Birthday to your little one!
It goes by fast, huh?
I keep telling my 6 year old that he's not allowed to get any bigger...
Look at that sweetie!!
Happy 5 to her (and you)!
Happy Birthday to your baby/big girl!
So she an artist, eh? Matilda draws late into the night almost every night too. The house is constantly covered with paper, every notebook I have she has stolen and drawn in... but I can't complain, I love it.
Oh my gosh she's beautiful! Happy birthday Sweetie - I hope your day is fantastic!
Happy birthday, Tootie!
Time is slipping away, keep this post, archive it, it will be a blur.........
Happy birthday to your girl!!
That last picture is fantastic!
This made me teary.
(and the BOOTS? Awesome.)
That picture with the boots and ponytails is just priceless! The other photos make me tear up, too.
Awwww. What a cutie! Happy day!
Happy B-Day. My baby boy turned 5 on Monday. I'm all, hallelujah! That means all my kids will be in full time school starting next year! No more expensive day care! Yay me!
(I would post pictures, but my new digi cam isn't as easy to work as my old one.)
Happy birthday!!! Great post. Let me know when you find the pause button!
Auh, Happy Birthday to her. It absolutely goes by way too fast.
Shannan
that is beautiful and so true, my "baby" will be four at the end of this month and I just can't imagine where the time has gone!
She's beautiful.
Happy Birthday Boo. Here's to another happy five years of driving your momma crazy.
Adorable. Happy belated B-Day.
Post a Comment