Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Do you know your color wheel?

Then please, help me figure out what to do with the impossible 1950s tile in our two bathrooms.

Our home currently boasts The Pink Bathroom and The Green Bathroom.

The Pink Bathroom has pink floors. The tiles are salmon, interspersed with burgundy.

See here --





(Note that burgundy tiles run along both the bottom and top of the salmon tiles.)

The second bathroom has a mint-green floor and mint-green wall tiles, which are trimmed with peach wall tiles. I can't find a photo of this one, but the tile arrangement is similar to that of the pink bathroom. They go half-way up the wall, which is painted white. (The peach tiles are the ones next to the wall.)

I want to do something with these bathrooms, but choosing complementary colors is beyond me. I looked into painting the tiles, but have decided that's probably a bit ambitious.

So -- how do I, to quote HGTV, "work with the tiles" I have?

Any suggestions? The mint-green and peach combo really has me stumped.

17 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Oh, dear! I am no help at all! I love watching decorating shows because I love to see the before and after pictures but I don't retain anything.

This sounds like a question for Antique Mommy. She has a whole blog just to address decorating questions.

Lara said...

My parents have a bathroom that looks almost exactly like that! But they just leave it be. hehe.
Brown goes well with pink? But really, I'm horrible at this kind of thing, I always make someone else make my colour decisions ;)

Anonymous said...

Mint green and peach is rough. I would probably go with a dark peach/coral and beige combo. It's possibly you could work a few muted blue accents in or some dark green if the mint color isn't too "minty".

I had no idea you even could paint tiles. I do know, though, that you might be able to change the floor by putting those square sticky tiles on. I know these are considered sort of cheap but I did this in one of my old bathrooms that had hideous tile and it worked fairly well.

As for the salmon/burgundy you might want to consider a very dark blue as an accent color.

By the way I have absolutely no credentials and very little experience in decorating so if someone who knows what they're talking about gives you different advice, feel free to disregard mine!

Amy

Nell said...

That's a lot of tile to work with. I'm with Amy, something to tone it down, like cream or beige. You'll let us see what you do, right?

flutter said...

Brown goes well with pink and Dark Gray does as well

carrie said...

If you aren't going to change the tiles, I'd be as neutral as possible with the towels and accents. But if you aren't afraid, re-tiling is a great option and easier than you think!

But it think your bathroom is cute and retro. Work it baby! :)

Family Adventure said...

Ack, I'm useless. But I thought I saw on an HGTV show that these tiles - or some very similar - are making a huge retro comeback. You should look at their website and see if you can get any ideas.

You can also take the bathroom pix with you to a paint store and ask for advice.

Heidi

MadMad said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me! I actually know the answer to this one! You keep that cute little kid in there brushing his teeth, and people will be too enamored to notice the tile. That's what I'd do.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing a stick of dynamite isn't the correct answer to this problem, is it?

I'd say if you can't afford to rip it out you may as well work it and go really retro. At least for the minty one. (Cream walls and towels...maybe...)

I'd do brown or grey with the peach and burgundy.

Or just close your eyes when you go in each time...

Anonymous said...

I'm going to echo what other people have already said in their comments. For the mint green and peach, a chocolate brown or a charcoal gray would probably be good. It would depend on if they were "warm" or "cold". The brown is more likely to be a winner. For the burgundy and pink, I also like the suggestion of Navy Blue.

dawn224 said...

guh. I came back and looked at this several times over the last day and I still have nothing more impressive that what everyone else said.

Life As I Know It said...

I don't know, but let me know if you figure out a solution.
We are dealing with a very 1970's BLUE bathroom. No idea what to do there other than take a sledgehammer to it...

Julie Pippert said...

Visualize me shrugging and looking desperately uncomfortable because I have no earthly idea.

I'd end up with a sledgehammer too, probably.

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

I don't know about the mint green (that's truly a tough one) but salmon and brown are reeeeaaally nice together.

ShannanB said...

I am horrible at this stuff. I had to have my mom help me when we remodled our bathroom.

You are not a lone however. I still have a bathroom that has turquoise plastic/pressboard walls.

It is awful. I just stuck Blues Clues stickers on it and called it a day.

Anonymous said...

I have several suggestions:

1. Large Stripes - either
light salmon on dark salmon (using your salmon color as the darkest color)
- or -
light salmon on creme

2. dark brown - that has a burgundy base (like redrock from Benjamin Moore - dark brown will clash unless there is some red in it)

3. cream (not white) - probably not your first choice because it's not dramatic - but it's safe - and you already have color in the room.

kjirsti said...

Hahah. I have this exact same tile a bathroom of a house I just bought. What did you decide? Do you have pictures?