... other people's parenting styles and the effect they have on their children...
EXCEPT when the result makes you batshit crazy.
Unfortunately, I have a very low batshit crazy threshold.
I just wrote about an incident that left me seriously disliking a little girl and her parents.
Today, mothergoosemouse asks this question:
"How do you handle it when other people’s children aren’t being destructive or hurtful, but merely annoying — at a playdate at your house, at a playgroup, in a public playspace?"
And if you pop over to Suburban Turmoil, you'll find Lindsay discussing how another mother's parenting style can ruin a workout at the gym. She asks:
"But where do we draw the line? What is our responsibility to our children? What’s our responsibility to the children of others? Most of us have a hands-off philosophy when it comes to other kids, right? Walk a mile in their parents’ shoes first, we say with a deeply tolerant air. But we also like to say that it takes a village to raise a child."
I encounter these issues all the time — as the noncustodial stepmom of two teenage kids.
Talk about battling a frequent temptation to judge. Oh. My. Hell.
In the past, before I had the two little ones, I spoke up often. I criticized the way my husband parented — his refusal to set a bedtime or his insistence on packing sodas and candy in the kids' daycare lunches, for example.
Finally, for my own sanity, I had to step back and butt out.
My new tactic for the next several years was to leave the room rather than witness what I deemed "bad parenting." Clearly, we were going to disagree and clearly my husband was going to continue to parent the way he always had, so why keep picking fights? Better to just flee the scene.
That didn't work either, however, because the fact is that his parenting decisions and his ex-wife's parenting decisions very much affect our household, our finances and our lifestyle.
So I started speaking up again, this time with a vow to choose my battles carefully.
The line in stepparenting is often faint and wavering. At what point do I express an opinion? At what point do I intervene?
I've written in recent months about problems with my stepson. Drugs. An arrest. An accusation by police that he is dealing. A trip the ER after "getting sick" at a party. There's more, but I can't get into it on here.
Now me? I'd be getting a copy of the arrest report. I'd be calling the ER (out of state) and requesting the documents from that night. I'd be looking for a good therapist.
His parents, however, remain in denial and refuse to act. "What's the point?" my husband said when I asked if he'd gotten any of the arrest or ER documents. "We already know what happened."
No, dude — you only know what your son told you. And you've already busted him in numerous lies. He's tested positive twice. And he was accused of selling, which bumps things up into felony territory.
Get the freaking police report. Gah!
*banging my head long and hard against a wall*
My stepson is a juvenile. I am not his legal guardian. I don't have access to any of this stuff, a fact that drives me batshit crazy — both as a mother and a reporter.
I think it's driving his stepdad batshit crazy too.
I've talked to my stepson, who is a good kid with a lot of damn potential. I wrote him a lengthy letter. I've expressed my worries to my husband. But that's where it ends.
Because while I may have a parental role in my stepson's life, I am not — biologically or legally — his parent. And we all know it.
22 comments:
Oof. I cannot imagine. No words of wisdom. Just... oof.
Very interesting, very powerful stuff.
I feel all of this frustration - only mine is directed towards my dad - but it's hysterically funny (hysterical being the operative word as the crazy bubbles up in me) how every word you say is applicable to my situation.
It makes my throat hurt, my stomach hurt and my hands shake.
Oh babe.
Rock --> Cathy <-- hard place
I'm sure you've done what you can So I won't bother you with all the "oh, what about this..." type deals my brain---which like to solve too much---keeps spitting out.
I'll just say (you).
And hopefully...hopefully something good.
Wow. I can't say I really know what you're going through, but I can imagine, and it sounds incredibly difficult. I hate feeling helpless in situations where I know I could have a positive influence given the chance.
What a tough spot for you to be in.
Hopefully you can talk some sense into your husband before it's too late...
You and I are so much alike in our need to have court docs and backup evidence.
Though there are no easy answers in this, I'll walk you through what I might do if I were in your shoes. Please feel free to tell me to piss off and mind my own damned business:
I would probably pull the docs anyway and present them to hubs as exhibit A, if need be. And then I would say that although he is not your biological son, he is your stepson and you love him as if he came from you. Because you know his potential and because you don't want him to blow that potential, you want to work with hubs in an effort he directs to get son the help he needs.
Something like that, says Paige the nosy meddler.
Again, I know it's not easy, but I am of the mind...well, you and I are of the same mind.
Little consolation I know.
But I hope it sort of helps,
P
That sounds very frustrating. I can't imagine. Other than trying to talk with your spouse, I really have no advice.
I'm assuming banging your head against a brick wall isn't an option, eh?
That's a really crappy place to be in... you can't do anything, but you get to feel and live with all the consequences, too. And bonus personal hell: you really care about the kid and want to help, but can't.
Grrrrr.
I have a very low batshit crazy threshold, but this situation is one that would make even the most tolerant parent batshit crazy.
I wish your husband would see what ought to be done. Because even when the kid's eighteen and out of the house (figuratively, if not literally), the worry doesn't stop there.
You may not be his "parent," but that doesn't mean you should stop fighting for him. Someone has to. And I'm not saying that your husband is doing a bad job, not at all -- but sometimes a little distance from whatever is going on can give the clarity that is needed to help the best.
I think you've got the clarity.
Don't give up. Get that police report.
"Gah" is right. And *you* are right. As the sister of a lying, drugging, thieving brother who's mother finally got all Tough Love (and probably saved him)...
Keep. At. It.
Sigh.
What a frustrating position to be in. No words of advice...
Hang in there.
I am with the others on this - lots of hugs to you.
Choosing your battles is a good lesson to learn, because you can send yourself crazy trying to make it all better.
Oooh, I know. It's hard. I feel for you.
I bristle when my boyfriend says anything about my parenting - even though many times I know he's right. And I know he does the same when I talk about his girls.
Finally an apt description of this kind of frustration - a low batshit crazy threshold! Ha!
I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. Sorry.
I am sorry Cathy. It sucks to be you in this situation - it is a real shame that both his biological parents are of the ostrich school of denial. I hope either they or he wake up soon enough to stop the downward spiral.
Heidi
I can't even comment Cathy. If I attempted to comment, it would turn into a book. I am 32 years old - my step-daughters are 22 and 19, and my step-son will be 18 in April (two mothers/ex-wives by the way - makes it even more ummmm adventurous). Oh, I could SO tell you some step-mother stories. But, I can't do it here ;-) I've experienced all the 'motherly' emotions - anger, frustration, worry, concern, pain, heartbreak, tears, etc, etc - and I don't even have kids of my own LOL! So, just know that I can completely relate - and from one step-mother to another we totally deserve more respect, appreciation, and a freaking medal or something!
Very frustrating... but interesting, too, as usual.
I feel for you. I have to deal with the damage my stepchildren's mother inflicted on our kids. Thankfully we have custody 100% of the time, which actually makes it easier on ME. I don't have to deal with her. I don't have to deal with 2 ways of parenting. I told my husband before we married that I expected us to parent our children the same way. We came into our marriage with 4 kids and had one of our own. I insist it be equal or they'll never respect us, or each other for that matter.
I know my situation is different, but I really do know the struggles of being a stepmom. It's hard work. Especially when you and your husband are not on the same page.
I agree with you. Your points are valid and someone needs to listen to you. Sometimes that "outside" opinion really is right on the money. They may be his parents, but they can't put blinders on. he has the potential to get in some real trouble, and they need to be more proactive. Period.
Cathy, I would feel so powerless if I were you (about your stepson). But it sounds like you're doing the best you can in the role you have as a stepmom. He is very blessed to have you in his life.
As the mother of a convicted felon, I'm sure my son would love to hear me say that, I would do something now. My son got into marijuana in high school, smoking it and probably selling it. I believed his lies. He got his act together for awhile but ended up injured at work and fell back into drug dealing very easily, the smoking weed never stopped and escalated when he was selling cocaine. He was addicted to weed, which even he will admit to now.
He sold drugs to an undercover cop, thank goodness and ended up in prison for six months. That gave him a good slap upside the head and he got clean and as an added bonus took up body building which gave him the physio he never did for his arm. His parole is up in August, and touch wood, he's staying out of trouble, working hard, off drugs and happy.
The small lies turn into big lies. My son is also a good kid and very smart but he tends to tell people what he thinks will make them happy and then because he's said it, he believes it's true. I'm sure there's a technical term for it, but I don't know what it is. My point is, your husband needs to get his head out of his ass and do something. Hiding won't make it go away. I know.
Mt stepdad knew he had no say in what my parents did with me. But he ended up being the best example to me, the one I knew I could trust with anything, the one I knew my limits with and the one who believed in me even though he didn't agree with me.
I'd hope you could be the same for your stepson.
Post a Comment