Sunday, February 03, 2008

This beauty queen had balls

"I have a story for you," my editor said, tossing a scrap of paper onto my desk.

"There's a former Miss Arkansas living in the homeless shelter."

And so on March 29, 2007, I headed over to the shelter to meet Bunnie, who competed in the 1977 Miss America pageant.

She was vivacious, charming and frank.

“Drinking ended up being a best friend for me," she told me. “Alcohol gave me courage -- it was the only thing that never disappointed me.”

Bunnie talked freely about the events that led to her homelessness -- two divorces, her son's departure for college, a tumble down the stairs that left her housebound and lonely.

Life had disappointed her, she said. When she walked off that stage in 1977, all sorts of options had glittered before her. Always, Bunnie said, she chose wrong.

A couple of drinks wiped these doubts clean away. But two turned so quickly to four and four so quickly to falling-down drunk.

She sold her nice, middle-class home in the suburbs and moved into an apartment, living off the equity for the next year.

Eventually, the money ran out. For six months, Bunnie lived out of her car. An accident and chronic digestive illness landed her in the hospital. After recovering at her brother's house, Bunnie decided she had to deal with things on her own. She researched homeless shelters.

In early 2007, still thin and frail, Bunnie moved into a homeless shelter, determined to make a new life for herself. The shelter's director told me how each day, Bunnie had boarded a bus and looked for jobs, how she had faithfully filled out job applications and asked repeatedly for someone to give her chance.

By March, she was working part time at a spa. On the day I showed up, she was about to pick up the car she'd just bought. She was proud, so proud of that used car.

It wouldn't be long before she got own place, Bunnie told me.

This is Bunnie on the day I interviewed her:



A few weeks after my story ran, I heard from Bunnie. She had gotten a second part-time job working behind the cosmetics counter at a department store. "I'm going to get that apartment soon," she said.

Over the next several months, I heard from other people as well, people who called to tell me they didn't expect Bunnie to make it.

"I heard she's drinking again," one woman said. "I just thought you should know."

"Word is, she's hanging around some bad company," another called to report.

I didn't understand what they expected me to do -- stake out the shelter to see what Bunnie did in her free time?

One day, an editor came over with a piece of paper.

"Someone called to say Bunnie's on the street again," he said.

I was annoyed. It seemed that people wanted her to fail. Why? Because she was still pretty? Because she still had a feisty since of humor and hadn't let circumstances beat her into hopelessness? (Example: On the day of our interview, I asked what she hoped to do after leaving the shelter. Bunnie grinned, struck an exaggerated beauty queen pose, and drawled: "You mean, what are my aspirations?")

I wanted her to make it. I believed she would.

Seven months later, I took my daughter to a birthday party at a cosmetology school. The girls, dressed up as princesses or fairies, were going to get their hair and makeup done during the festivities.

Ringlets were fashioned and sprayed. Then the girls lined up to have their makeup done by a petite woman with dark hair and a feisty sense of humor. "Now you know, I was Miss Arkansas in 1977," she said, applying shimmering gloss to a little girl's lips.

"So I have lots of practice at this."

I gaped.

"Bunnie?!"

She turned around. "Well, hey, girl! How are you doing?"

Hurriedly, we caught up. Bunnie said she was enrolled in the cosmetology school and set to graduate in the next year. She still worked in cosmetics at the department store part time and was hoping to add hairdressing to her list of jobs there, which would allow her to get insurance.

"Oh, and I'm in my own place," she said excitedly.

(Here's a pic from that party.)


(photo by kris)

We hugged and she pressed two business cards into my hand, one card for each of her occupations.

And then she went back to doing makeup -- this time for my little girl, who stared in admiration at the pretty woman who used to be a princess.

41 comments:

Keeping It Real said...

Hooray for Bunnie! She's a pretty lady with a tough hide and jovial spirit. That kind usually always comes out on top. I'm so glad your story has a happy ending.

Kalynne Pudner said...

What an amazing story! Go, Bunnie! And the journalist who believed in her ;)

Amy said...

I just absolutely ADORE this story. You were meant to be part of her life. Amazing. Gah, this makes me miss the life of a reporter.

Wonderful!

Family Adventure said...

Cathy, I was worried that this post would have a sad ending. But just look at that last picture. How wonderful!!

Maybe they were just protecting themselves from more disappointment, those other people, by expecting the worst? I'm not saying that's right, but I do it, too.

Which makes it even more wonderful that she beat the odds. And might I add, looking amazingly good while doing so!

Thank you for sharing! Lovely to read such an inspirational post first thing in the morning :)

Heidi

AliBlahBlah said...

I found your blog through Flutter and will be coming back, I've really enjoyed your writing!

Beth Cotell said...

Go, Bunnie, go! I am so happy this story had a happy ending!

Why do people hope for the worst for others? Why?

ShannanB said...

What a great story. I am so happy to read that she is doing well. It sickens me how negative and "doom and gloom" people can be.

Thank you for sharing this. It's inspirational.

Paige said...

That's why I got into journalism, thank you very much. Great story, a simply great one.

Go Bunnie!

delaneydiariesmama said...

This is a fantastic story. What a great lady. I loved getting to know her through your post. You meet the most interesting (and completely human) people in your line of work!

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

HA!

This is, hands down, the best part of being a journalist. It totally makes up for all those city government meetings and new business profiles. In the end, we just all want to tell (and be told) good stories.

I'm so glad you and Bunnie found each other. Great story!

~Nancy~ said...

I am from Arkansas (living in Kentucky the last 4 years) and actually remember her. I was graduating from college that year.
Thanks for the update. It is a "feel good" story...the kind that are often overlooked for the more interesting, sad stuff.

Julie Pippert said...

Chillbumps. Absolute chillbumps. This was such a wonderful story...I was SO GLAD to see her doing the make-up for little girls. Congrats to her and woo hoo to you for a great story. Thank you.

P.S. Stop by my blog. Little sumpin sumpin there for you.

flutter said...

Cathy! This is amazing! I am so proud of Bunnie!!

Liv said...

Darn you for giving me the chills and tears! Yay, Bunnie. This is the stuff we need. We all need this.

NotAMeanGirl said...

That story... and that woman... are FULL OF WIN! I love it when someone overcomes their inner demons! Please keep us updated if you learn any more!

J from Ireland said...

What an amazing story, lovely to hear on a monday!

Life As I Know It said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it.
Yay, Bunnie!

Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear about people succeeding, overcoming their addictions.

Nell said...

What a great story! I'm so glad that she made it.

Misty DawnS said...

What an absolutely fantastic story! Why do we as a society prefer to hear bad things about people rather than good? That really bothers me!

I have a very, very special award for you over at www.mistysmusings.com - I think you will really like it!

dawn224 said...

.... did you ... write about her a few months ago without mentioning who it was?...

ewe are here said...

This is a great story. I'm delighted she turned her life around so successfully!

jeanie said...

What a beautiful story! I hope that she keeps on winning her battle.

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Dawn -- I bet you're thinking of another woman, J. I wrote about her a few months ago.

She's the one who ended up in a jail, with a drug problem, a year after her daughter died.

I was rooting for her too.

Lisa said...

What a wonderful story!

Crazed Nitwit said...

You are def an awesome journalist. Thanks for a great story.

Victoria said...

Such a captivating story! And *I* started pulling for Bunnie in the middle. I hope she does well.

MadMad said...

Hey, you already got a perfect post award for January! No fair - now you'll get February, too!

carrie said...

That is a wonderful, wonderful story Cathy! Thanks for sharing it, and for being a part of it!

Kellan said...

This was a wonderful story - really wonderful. But, what I want to know is ... why are you not writing books? This is a mini-book right here - this fabulous story!! You need to be writing books!! Thanks for sharing this great story and thanks for sharing your gift of telling a good story!! See you soon. Kellan

~Nancy~ said...

Hi again, Cathy,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I posted a response to your question there.
Small world, huh? :-)

Thanks for the visit! Please come again.

Dallas Meow said...

we're all born princesses!

LarryLilly said...

Great story

Its stuff like that which makes papers worth reading today. Good writers fleshing out a story that takes you there.

I posted a similar story on my blog, well, a pitiful excuse for a blog since I hardly post, but a story that has been done every so often, like the visitor that appears each year on Edgar Alan Poe's birthday with the bottle of cognac and the roses.

Stories of human involvement, the real us.

Nadine said...

Amazing story. Awesome post! You're such a talented writer. And hooray for Bunnie!

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous story. Sounds like you were right about her.

-andi

Anonymous said...

Its wonderful to read that, its lovely seeing someone beating the odds

Anonymous said...

I hope Bunnie knows she is an inspiration.

Good for her.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Now that is a cool story.

familymclean said...

What a beautiful story!
Choking back a lump in my throat!
(oh, and I was just going through the nablopomo blogroll and found you)
:)

thordora said...

I needed some happy this morning. :)

Damselfly said...

What a great story! I'm glad she made it.