Monday, January 07, 2008

Pshaw! Those silly, blushing menfolk

Today, a friend of mine told some co-workers about my blog.

Male co-workers.

Who, upon pulling up this here blog and reading my previous post, reportedly turned scarlet and said, "Oh, I can't read this."

Which brings us to this evening's topic:

What did these two men -- both married with children -- find so disturbing?

Is it that women have (*gasp*) periods and PMS? That women have sex with their significant others? (when they're not PMSing, that is)

Or could it be the fact that women openly discuss such things?

My bet's on No. 3.

Hubs says, "There's just some things you just don't want to know."

He says he's referring to sex and periods. I think, however, that what Hubs and these men don't want to know is that their wives and daughters are out there -- either IRL or the blogosphere -- having conversations about this stuff.

Because -- *evil cackle* -- that means we might also be talking about them.

Boys, boys, boys: It's time you learn. Women talk about everything -- and yes, sometimes you are part of the discussion. Our mothers talked. Our grandmothers talked. We accepted the torch long ago, back in 5th grade, when we started comparing bra sizes or worrying about periods that hadn't yet begun.

It's called the sisterhood, guys, and I'm not the only woman who's grateful for its existence. How liberating to know that you can look to other women -- in the coffee shop, at a book club, or on a blog -- for comfort, commiseration, or just a long hearty laugh -- when you most need that kind of support.

We sisters turn readily to one another in times of trouble. We confess our vulnerabilities, share our darkest fears and yeah, toss out a few ribald jokes. And then, eagerly, we scan our comments pages, where we know we'll find words of encouragement or a few LOLs.


Sometimes, we stumble across a blog whose aching, raw honesty humbles and touches us. We continue reading -- this blog and others -- following our sisters as their stories unfold, thinking of them, reaching out to them.


The ability to be open and honest with other women is empowering.

Too bad you menfolk are so afraid of it.

------------------------------------- moooooooving on ..............

Finally, some belated holiday photos.

Here's C., my stepdaughter...


... with little sis and bro.



And here's a hasty group shot taken just so I could prove to you that C. does indeed make me look short and stumpy. Please note: I am wearing heels.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the menfolk. Just today I was regretting that so many people I know know about the wee blog. I have a serious post I'd like to put up, but it involves too many people who would read it. Damn me and my self-promotion.

The holiday photos are beautiful. You. Are beautiful (and not at all short and stumpy).

-andi

Keeping It Real said...

You short and stumpy? No way. But C is quite statuesque. She could easily pass as a model (is she one?)

On the menfolk, they don't have a clue. My hubs forbade me to post anything particularly telling about him, so now I only limit him to afterthoughts. At least on my blog.

Julie Pippert said...

She's lovely...you are all lovely, and not even the little ones appear short and stumpy.

As for menfolk and womentalk? It makes them uncomfortable but most I know are accepting, and even the ones whose wives are pretty good friends of mine can still look me in the eye. :)

But you know? My husband grew up with sisters, my brother has sisters, my friends have sisters and many of my men friends have always had women friends...so maybe they are worn down LOL.

Nell said...

Those silly menfolk! I think you're right though, I mean, they know it happens all around them, but if they don't want to think about it, and women are talking about it... oh the horror!

Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

Laughing. My husband routinely has a bird about what I write on my blog.

"T, you do understand my BOSS reads this, don't you," he'd whine.

"Why yes, Boo. That's why I always write about how BIG your Mr. Pickle really is," I innocently reply.

And why I routinely toss in there some hemorrhoidal and vaginal action.

Consider it payback for pissing on the toilet seat and not wiping it up.

Wink, wink.

Beautiful kids you've got there, Stump.

Heh, heh. (I kid. You're not stumpy. You're step daughter is a GIANT. Better? LOL.)

(And thanks for the props. That was awfully nice of you. Especially since I just called you Stump...)

Unknown said...

great photos! Your family is beautiful and so are you!

MadMad said...

Ah, the men. I always wonder what they're (not?!) thinking when they come a-visiting the blog. Oh well - great links, btw! Thanks!

Kellan said...

Yes - we women are very lucky to have each other!!!

Those are some beautiful kids and lovely photos!

Take care. Kellan

Misty DawnS said...

C is very beautiful. She has that 'girl next door' natural beauty look.

You and your entire family are absolutely beautiful/adorable/precious!

My husband is a farmer, as is most of his friends. I've told him "Farmers put their arm up a cow's heehaw and keep track of their cycles, yet 'women's' issues make them uncomfortable?" hmph!

carrie said...

You are so right. Even before blogging, women were like this. It's what makes us women, mothers, sisters, friends.

And it rocks.

And you do too, forget about being short and stumpy - your fab abd blonde and beautiful! :)

Nadine said...

You ALL look gorgeous!! Great pictures.

You should hear what men talk about when we're not around. I've always had more guy friends than girl friends. And guys share a lot of info too. Though most of that is bragging of course.

Anonymous said...

I am lucky to have you coming over to check in on me and to make me laugh when I feel like I'm going to scream.

You and the children are a stunning, stunning crew, btw.

Family Adventure said...

Sisterhood...it keeps me sane in a household of testosterone!

Those are fabulous pictures. She's a beautiful girl, but *you* look stunning out of sweats, my dear! And the kidlets are adorable as always.

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Every single time my husband sees me typing he asks, "what are you saying about me?"

Idiot.

If you think you look stumpy, I fear what you'd think I look like!

Victoria said...

My four year old commented on the ah, lackings of menfolk this week. At four. I've trained her well.

Your and yours are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Dh hates when any of the above gets mentioned, think there all just sqemish

Damselfly said...

Power to the sisterhood!

Your stepdaughter looks like a model.

ShannanB said...

You are right. I've rarely stumbled across a Dad or guy blog that was as open and honest as a mom blog.

Those pictures are beautiful. Your daughter could def. be a model.