Friday, January 18, 2008

Living room wars

OK, so if you look to the left of my lovely stepdaughter, you'll see a hideous lamp...



Ugly, no?

Notice how the age-yellowed lampshade is held together only by peeling masking tape?

That atrocious lamp is symbolic of the disparity in Hubs' and my taste in home decor.

For the Hubs, all that matters to him is that something is old. He loves antiques, faded linens, knicky-knack things.

Me, I'm a minimalist. I hate clutter and what I will generously refer to here as "stuff." The comedian who moved temporarily into the IK*A store? That is my fantasy.

Clean and modern. Lots of light. NO KNICK-KNACKS. No dark, brooding furniture.

Like this hulking thing, to the left of cute daughter:



This, my friends, is an antique hall tree.

I refer to it as the Clutter Collector.

We've never had a hall to put it in, mind you, but it has accompanied us on each move. I LOATHE it. For one thing, it's just a depressing-looking piece of furniture. It's ugly. And — most offensive — everyone dumps stuff on it, thereby making whatever space it occupies CLUTTERY. ACK!

Jackets belong inside a closet, not dangling from an horned piece of furniture that takes up valuable space in my dining room.

When I have to shove my way through a dozen coats and scarves just to sit down at the table, I break out into hives. Oh, and the hall tree has a seat. So there's more junk under the bench and on the bench.

As I said — Clutter Collector.

I want to burn it. After I take an ax and chop it into itty-bitty pieces. Such is my hatred of the hall tree.

Anyway, back to the lamp.

On a recent trip to my parents', I hauled Hubs into the IK*A store.

Halfway through the vast, uncluttered store, as I fondled the floor lamps, he finally clued in.

"We're here for a new lamp, aren't we?" he asked.

I smiled. Evilly.

A new lamp was purchased and erected in the spot once occupied by the taped-together piece of junk.

And then the battle began.

"Why are you taking the old lamp outside?" Hubs asked indignantly.

"Because we can leave it out on the curb for pickup this week."

"You're getting rid of it?"

"Why would we keep it? It's broken. It doesn't even have that globe-thingy in it anymore."

"Yes, it does. I found one for it."

"Oh. Yes. The one that's just balanced in there because you can't attach it. The one that could fall out at any minute. The one that cost us more than the new lamp."

Sure enough, as I carried the old lamp outside, the globe fell out and smashed into a zillion little pieces on our front porch.

Hubs was appalled.

"Look what you've done!" he cried. "We could have saved it! It's probably worth $100."

I looked skeptically at the ugly, 70s-looking thing on our porch.

"Would you pay $100 for this?"

"Well. No."

"OK, then."

Bear in mind, this isn't some family heirloom. Hubs found the lamp while scavenging in an antique store and bought it for $25. It was ugly then. It's even uglier now with all the masking tape. (Son tipped it over and the shade ripped in half.)

In the next year, Hubs and I hope to move into a bigger house. If the hall tree goes with us, I'm leaving him.

For the comedian in the IK*A store.

15 comments:

Life As I Know It said...

Sometimes, at my house, things accidentally break. I don't know if my husband has caught on to this phenomenon yet, but so far it's working.
And if I'm happy, then we're all happy...

Family Adventure said...

MY husband is what I would call a tasteless packrat...he will take anything and KEEP IT FOREVER. I have to sneak things out into the garbage in the middle of the night. You should try it. Although the hall tree may be a tad too big...

Heidi

Paige said...

My husband will not part with his craptastic faux leather couch. as a compromise, I tried to toss a slipcover over it. But the slipcover does not conceal the fact that I know there is a craptastic faux leather couch underneath.

In short: We have some great things in this house, but a freaking sofa is not one of them.

If things don't change, I know there is a younger man with my name on it.

P

Anonymous said...

Neither one of us can get rid of anything that might be useful, and when we moved to a fixer-upper last Sept, we thought we'd need everything. That everything was a lot of nothing, and heavy.

After nearly dying from the move, I swore things must change. One of the things the previous owners left behind is a hideous plastic strap lawn chair with paint splotches. I put it out for trash. My husband cried, "But none of the plastic straps are broken! You can't kill this lawn chair." Maybe not, but you're not so tough.

Keeping It Real said...

I recently sold my clutter collector for $10 -- it was a stair-climber exerciser. Now we have a fish tank (hubs' idea). Collects LOOOOTS of dust --- and dead fish.

Heather said...

I'm a clutter hater too.

the new girl said...

Oh HO HO!
My husband NEVER WANTS TO THROW ANYTHING AWAY. I have to say it in all caps so you know what a SERIOUS SITUATION it is.

He has some fantasy that someday, he's going to need the base of the old blender w/o a pitcher or the old cordless phone that's BROKEN (??) Which, BTW, I FOUND under a bed after we purchased a new one (he actually HID it from me and my 'toss it' mentality.)

:)

carrie said...

Do you want to know how long it took me to get my husband to get rid of his Green Bay Packer's helmet phone?

No, you don't.

Should've saved it for eBay, it might be worth something in today's football fan market.

ShannanB said...

My hubby and I are pretty minimalist. We both can't stand clutter or stuff for the sake of stuff. Our living room is a TV on a stand, a love seat and couch and a lamp.

Beth Cotell said...

My husband thinks that if something has been inside of our house for more than 2 weeks then we have to keep it forever. Ugh!

Victoria said...

My husband is easily talked-into old-stuff purging and new-stuff buying. I can coerce him into new home projects and home-decor shopping trips.

(You know I'm using sex as a weapon, right?)

Mmm. Ikea. The Container Store. You're talking my language.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the clutter! I'm still trying to get rid of the 200 records in my basement. Among other things...

-andi

Julie Pippert said...

LOL...I hear you! I am married to messy, can't see details, packrat man. I mean, among his other Stellar and Awesome qualities.

We did decluttering this weekend.

Ikea, Container Store, the organizer row at Target...love it.

Damselfly said...

I hate clutter too! Unfortunately, my husband got the pile gene.

Besides it just *feels so good* to buy new furniture, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hall Trees are a stylish addition to any entryway or foyer! Add some charm and decoration to your entry way with our entry way furniture. Hang your coats, hats and bags on the hooks provided to save space. Consider buying a hall tree that has a storage bench so that you can easily tuck away off-season clothes, umbrellas and other belongings.