The other night, Hubs was doing the usual flipping-between-baseball-games-and-cruising-other-channels thing when we stumbled across a sitcom that I assume is new.
I couldn't tell you what it's called, but the scene unfolding involved a woman telling her husband (boyfriend?) that she couldn't sleep in a bed he bought and shared with a previous girlfriend.
Hubs and I looked at each other and laughed.
"The table," we said in unison.
My spouse came with a lot of baggage — an ex-wife, two kids, the ex-wife's husband, and...
... the material remnants of Hubs' life with the ex.
Some of "their" stuff was already in Hubs' post-divorce house when I moved in.
But then, over the next few years, each time the ex dropped off the kids for the weekend, she brought over more things they'd shared during their marriage.
"I thought you might want this," she would say, proffering various dusty items.
A popcorn bowl.
A tea pitcher.
A lamp.
Mind you, by this time they had been divorced for four years. The ex had already remarried. It's not like she hadn't had time to dispose of all these unwanted items.
"Ugly," I said of the popcorn bowl. (to Hubs, not her)
"Already have one," I said of the pitcher.
"Ick," I said of the lamp.
And finally — "How freaking big is their garage anyway?"
At first it didn't bother me. But of course then I started analyzing and wondered, Is she trying to make a point? And if so, what?
In all likelihood, she probably saw the handoffs as an easy alternative to a garage sale.
Or maybe her new husband didn't want all these marital leftovers in his house either.
Whatever her reasoning, I did NOT want our home to be the dumping ground for all the items she and Hubs once shared.
For one, our small house was already cramped.
Second, I didn't really want to be surrounded by things she and Hubs had picked out together — things that were NOT to my taste or liking.
Not wanting to sound like an insecure, crazy-girl new wife (which, of course, I was), I first used the argument that we had no room for all these things.
And I was trying to be diplomatic, because for all I knew, Hubs was the one who picked out that hideous popcorn bowl.
But then Hubs announced that the ex was bringing over their former dining room table.
And I flipped out.
"NO MORE STUFF!" I ranted, hurling the popcorn bowl and tea pitcher into a garbage can.
It wasn't so much the image of them sitting around the table with their two kids — at the time, I had no children of my own, so yes, the image grated — but their refusal to leave the past behind and let me decorate and outfit my house in my own damn way.
Hubs protested.
"But I always liked that table," he argued.
It sat in the garage for months, collecting dust. Finally, he took it to a flea market.
Now it all seems so silly. At the time, however, when I was trying to establish a new and shared life with this man I had married, I didn't want all this stuff getting in my way. Literally or figuratively.
Lord knows there was enough mental flotsam without adding ex-furniture to the mix.
So while I laughed at the sitcom and the couple's bickering over an ex-spatula —
— secretly, I totally got it.
23 comments:
Wasn't that on "How I met your mother"
I love that show...it's very witty!
Oh you are too funny
Steve was married once before I knew him. His ex moved far away and I had never even seen her until one day at the supermarket. We were there together and Steve tensed up and pinched me. That's her, he whispered and of course I knew exactly who he was talking about. I felt like a spy, but it was weird to see someone who used to be a part of his life before I was.
I can totally understand how you would want your new life with the man you love to be a completely separate thing - down to the popcorn bowl (especially since it was hideous).
* Thanks for letting me blab on your blog - this particular story isn't one Steve would want to see over at my place!
I can totally get that...and hilarious retelling of it.
Julie
Using My Words
I would so not want those damaged goods either. Best gone by way of the dump truck.
I imagine I would feel exactly the same way.
Oh yeah, it's one thing to have grandma's antique set, but the one belonging to your husband and his ex-wife? No thanks.
You see? You are wise and sweet and funny, girl.. YOu can laugh at all the foibles of new relationships rather than be bitter and yuckster...
You rule!
Oh man. Deja vu again. I moved into the house that the spousal unit shared with his ex. I had to paint, clean, redo every surface to make it mine. I sooo know what you mean!
Teehee... so true.
Sounds like she was dumping on you guys as she replaced the older items with new stuff. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting that crap.
Heheh! I totally get what you mean, though my husband didn't have an ex that he had lived with.
Arkie mama,
First of all let me just say that I've been meaning to write for many days now with a similar sentiment...how did I not stumble upon YOU before. Love your humor.
Now, on to this post. I would seriously have had a fit before the table came along and would have probably started a bonfire in the front yard with the popcorn bowl teetering on top.
SOunds like the ex wanted you to know that she and your man had a past. LIKE you didn't already know that. Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be a chick. We can act so stupid sometimes, no? Thank god we have the ability to laugh our way through it.
Cheers.
Izzy Rose
Great post, Arkie Mama. I know quite well that it is good to start with a clean slate.
I can imagine I'd feel the exact same way. My husband wasn't married before but did have a longtime girlfriend. He still has several gifts she gave him. I try not to let them bother me, but sometimes I just can't help it. Damn woman hormones.
It makes a TON of sense to me. I am on your side.
Arkie Mama is RIGHT! Always!
HA! I totally get this. I can only imagine how this was for you. I still get pissed every time we go through our basement and come across the hub's ex-girlfriend's marching band sweater.
Yes, you read that right. Marching. Band. Sweater.
My problem with crap-I-don't-want-in-our-home came not from my husband's ex-wife, but from my dear Mother-in-law. She brought over china (they took two weeks to decide on the pattern! she says.)She brought over towels (everything in their bathroom was black, white, and red! she says.) When she brought over sheets, I really couldn't bear to hear what they did with those, so I believe I said something like, "Do you have any idea of the mental turmoil your insensitivity has put me through?" No, that wasn't it...I screamed: "No $! More!"
I also have a "table story", but I think I am stuck with mine. "sigh." Many years ago, shortly after my hubs and his ex had bought their first house and they were shy of furniture, my husband's father gave them his used (but beautiful) Ethan
Allen table and chair set. After some time they bought new for their dining room and moved it to one end of a rec room where they did a lot of entertaining, kids parties, family get-togethers. Years later my husband's in-laws needed a table at a summer home they purchased and they talked my husband into letting them "borrow it", so off it went. A year or so later, my husband and his then wife divorced and he wanted the table. Tragically, his father died shortly thereafter and my husband was intent on getting that table back more than ever because it ended up being the only physical thing my husband would end up having of his father's. We have been married for six years and he has fought for that table for five years of it, just finally receiving it about a year ago from his former in-laws. (Yes, by court order. Low life's! Who would want to keep something you knew had such sentimental value?)Anyway, It is now in our newly finished basement in a special place designed and created around it....like a shrine..... by my husband. I love that table..... because my husband is sooooo happy to have something of his father's in our home. I hate that table.... because of all the stories and memories and photographs attached to it when it was in the possession of he and his ex-wife. Every birthay party, Christmas party, Easter brunch and even the fist game of Chutes and Ladders with his kids and their mom were played at that table. Summer get together's at his in-law's vacation home created even more memories around that table. Now, as teenager's, my step children are quite mad at my husband because he fought their grandparents for so many years to get that table back. For more than five years I was so tired of hearing about that table! Now I have it.... and I have to pretend to be happy about it. Which I do BECAUSE you should see the warmth and smile on my husband's face when he talks about his father and how happy he is to have that table. I know he would do the same for me.
But that still doesn't stop me from attaching some "ick factor" everytime I look at that table.
ha ha ha - well done.
My partner and his ex are still friends - I have met her and bear her no malice.
But her little foible just makes me giggle.
As they were married for 15 years, she became the holder of all the photos and memorabilia.
So every month or so, she sends an album of carefully scanned photos from his childhood through their life together.
She also keeps in close contact with all his relatives - far closer than he does.
I actually do appreciate her as she stood by him as a friend through some very trying times - but she is also a bit of a case!
I don't think you were crazy. I'd not want the table either.
I agree with you. Who wants all the crap that the ex doesn't even seem to want anymore. I'd want to have my own stuff to make memories. Not their leftovers. Way to stand your ground!
The show you caught was RUles of Engagement on CBS. It's pretty cute. Its got David Spade and the guy that played Puddy, Elaine's on again off again boyfriend on Seinfeld.
I can SO relate! My husband was married twice before me, and had two children in the first marriage and one child in the second marriage. When we just recently moved in June, I was so excited to have a home that was ours and only ours - a home that he had not lived in 'with someone else'. A place where I would not constantly hear the stories about what one of the ex's did or had or said... blah blah blah
Post a Comment