Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An indomitable spirit

She sits at the counter of a St*rb*cks, a heavyset woman in a bright striped sweater and mom jeans, nursing a large coffee. Large gold hoops swing as she talks animatedly to the barista.

I'm slouched against a wall, indulging in a silent on-my-way-to-work whinefest.

The music changes to something jazzy and the woman dances on her way to the counter, cheerily asking for a refill.

She dances back, grins at me, and says, "This music reminds me of home."

The accent tips me off.

"Are you from -- "

"Yes, I am," she says proudly. "Been here a couple of years now."

"Oh. Did you leave when -- "

"Just before. I had family who had evacuated to Arkansas, so I came here too."

She grins again. "It's different, but nice. Maybe someday, if the city ever finishes rebuilding, maybe then I'll go back. But I'm doing OK."

Again, that brilliant smile.

The barista calls my name.

"Nice talking to you," the woman says.

She waves as I leave. Clutching a cup of steaming coffee, I walk out to my car.

Humbled.

20 comments:

flutter said...

This was beautiful Cathy

Paige said...

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans? This lady does, you do, I do...wow.

Who needs coffee when we have people like this to open our eyes?

Family Adventure said...

Oh wow....what a spirit.

Heidi

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

Nothin' like a good humbling now and then. I love it.

Life As I Know It said...

Lovely post.
I love when I meet someone or learn something where I least expect it.

Anonymous said...

You made me cry, you did. I never knew it was possible to mourn for a city but I do. And yet stand in awe of the spirit of the natives there, just like the one you encountered.

I get homesick for AR alot. I know it sounds crazy but I do (more so in the winter but moving on...). One thing that's in my top five "things I miss" are weekend trips to Nawlins.

Anonymous said...

Again, you scored points, Cathy. Chillbumps right down the spine. Sometimes a good humbling is what we need, isn't it?
Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Keeping It Real said...

That's beautiful, Cathy. As a former frequent visitor to New Orleans (and Louisiana native), I'm quite familiar with the lively spirit of the city and its people.

I pray she does get to move back.

Misty DawnS said...

Definitely humbled. Brings tears to my eyes.

By the way, I gave you an award.

Damselfly said...

If she was getting a refill, that's why she was so cheerful -- she'd already had some caffeine! ;)

Seriously, though, what a devastating thing to live through.

Julie Pippert said...

All around beautiful.

Nadine said...

Beautiful post!

carrie said...

How refreshing!

Victoria said...

Lovely.

MadMad said...

What a great post! So well written. We all need and get those kicks in the pants like that from time to time, don't we?

Beth Cotell said...

Thanks for a great post! This is my first time here but you are going right in my bloglines!

Kellan said...

Yes - Humbled! What a great story - I loved it!

Have a good weekend Cathy! See you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

I have to give credit to New Orleanians -- they're an optimistic bunch.

Sweet story, and humbling for all of us who whine a bit too much over silly things.

ShannanB said...

It's impossible to even begin to try and understand what she must have been through. Amazing that she is so upbeat!