Not tonight. Not most nights.
And it's not just me. This is a frequent complaint made by my girlfriends.
He wants it. I don't.
My reasons vary:
1. I'm tired. Not sleepy-tired, but weary-in-my-bones tired. My brain is tired. I have other things on my mind, an endless string of must-dos and haven't-dones.
I forgot to get my daughter's shot records for the school.
... must plan her birthday ...
Did I write the check for daycare?
2. I don't feel like getting naked.
It's too cold.
I'm 30 pounds overweight.
My boobs plummet when I take off the underwire.
3. I filed two stories today. Went by the grocery store. Am busily gathering all the documents needed to request a kindergarten transfer.
Why do I always have to ask him to help with the kids at night? I work too.
He says: "Even if I'm not in the mood, I can be persuaded."
I can't. If I'm not, I'm not. And if I'm PMSing, I think about how I wouldn't miss sex at all, not one bit.
Does it change as the kids get older? Where's that mid-30s peak I've always heard about? My theory is that the alleged peak was created by a bunch of sex-starved men who hoped to convince their wives that they really were in the mood, like all the time.
Ha.
Each night, I can sense his expectations, even before he makes a move.
Pre-emptive sex doesn't work. As one girlfriend puts it, "In their minds, that's the appetizer. They just want more, more, more... It's never enough."
And so we wonder, who are these other women who have the extra energy? Who are these women who still have desire?
And, most importantly, where did mine go?
Wanted: Missing libido. Last seen in 2002 during an evening of rum runners in New Orleans. May be dangerous if confronted.
Edited to add: My husband is an attractive man. I love him. But after the kids are in bed, I just want to sprawl on the couch.
25 comments:
Girlfriend!, let me tell you some excellent news. At the ripe age of 45 I have recently discovered multiple orgasms and the G spot. Holy sh*t! Where they hell have these things been ALL my life????
All I think about is sex. I think I'm turning into a guy........mwahaha.
oof, sounds like a vacation is in order....with rum
Aww, poor guy. He must be so happy that you blog :))
Maybe you can buy a new libido? Or better yet, let the hubby buy you a new libido.
Mine skipped town about the same time that first bout of morning sickness hit. Before that I was always ready to go at it. That was about 5 months after we got married. Sometimes I wonder if DH thinks I was faking randiness.
Try some damiana, it helps me.
Cathy, I hear ya. But... it does get - slightly - better once the kids are older than yours are now. Although even then, it is never.ever.enough.
Heidi
I'm right there with you, girl. I love my hubs to pieces, but after being touched all day by a baby and having to look after everyone else, I just want some time to myself.
I too am hoping it gets better as the kids get older - maybe my libido is hiding in the bottom of the kids' messy toybox? It's always in the last place you look.
-andi
Oh the things we could discuss, Arkie Mama...
Sigh. I feel the exact same way.
But I am comforted my JaniceNW's comment! Maybe there is hope?
If JaniceNW is right, I'm looking forward to 45!
It helps if the hubs is only home for four days a month. Then I can't get enough of him for those four days.
Cuz it's a long and lonely dry spell in between.
Umm no comment.
Except yeah umm a couple of years ago I knew exactly what you meant.
Maybe I'm just hitting menopause earlier. Be joyful that your ovaries are heartier?
Maybe you should try a pituitary tumor...
KIDDING! It's okay to make fun of yourself.
t's interesting that you'd post about this today... Stacy over at Another Mommy Moment (http://anothermommymoment.blogspot.com/2008/01/silent.html) is going through the exact same thing. I told her what I did when all this happened to me (two kids, no desire whatsoever), and what I did worked for me, but only because I am stubborn... I faked it until my libido came back.
I don't recommend it, frankly, but at the time I figured it was easier to do that than to go through the same dumb fight every time.
I really don't have any idea about this libido thing... I'm 33, my kids are 13 and 9, and I'm just now getting back to the horny stage I was in before I birthed 'em.
;)
I'm hoping it's coming back "when the kids get older." For me, one of the worst parts is the memory of how horny I was during pregnancy. I think if I could just get enough sleep....I don't know HOW MUCH might possibly be enough.
And LOL at the pre-emptive sex. Every bit of this is relatable to my life.
Ugh, thanks for writing this SO I DON'T HAVE TO. My husband is flat on his back from a slipped disc and he still wants to get busy. Meanwhile, I"m in my first trimester AND I'm running the house and The Poo all by myself.
STOP TOUCHING MY BOOBS.
Truer words were never written, amen.
K and I have an advanced notification system. He'll call me from work (or I him) and say, "Think about it."
It gives you the rest of the day to "mentally prepare" which can work...
Ah, but OTJoys, if I did that he would be calling me EVERY DAY!
I'm with Mrs Chicken, in the first trimester and not really there. But boy oh boy, my guy could be in the midst of a heart attack and still want it.
I think that having/nursing a baby has bro-ken my sex drive.
It's way busted. I can't even remember HOW to do it. The Man is understanding but it's been SO long, really.
And like, I KNOW it's broken because I don't even want to do it *by myself*
hem-hem.
Nope - when the kids get older, your libido will wonder if they'll be able to hear you...
I'm a few years older than you but to be honest, I don't often feel like having sex. When I bother, it's really good and then I think, Wow, why don't we do this more often? And the answer is, I'm tired when I go to bed.
I thought their (the men) libidos were supposed to start getting slower! WHEN???? I feel like I live with a 14 year-old.
It is so sad to say, but I am really looking forward to that day.
Mine is still MIA. But I hear breastfeeding will do that to you.
AMEN SISTER - I feel like you might have bugged my bedroom???? LMAO.
OMG these comments have made my day.
and now I have the computer turned away from my husband so he can't see me chime in ...
but YEAH! I am now working on reprogramming my brain - once a day I say to myself "I want to have sex with my husband"
eh.... I'm trying...
I've been thinking about posting about the exact same thing. I just can't get in the mood. It seems like so much effort. And to tell you the truth, it's a little boring now. So, really, why expend the effort for boring?
I really should make more of an effort.
LOL! Y'all had me rolling. You must be watching my life. I used to be like Samantha-you know, Sex and the City horny chick extraordinaire Samanta- so what the hell happened? I know I'm menopausal and all, but sheesh.... my libido dropped like the market last Friday in a matter of weeks and I adore my husband! In fact, I'm newly wed... he may be wondering if he can get a refund. :-P
I've heard DHEA helps, or testosterone.
As for the "not so horny" stage that many women are waiting on, I don't think men EVER reach that stage. Even the older ones.
J.A.
Post a Comment