Sunday, January 27, 2008

For my Hubs, size DOES matter

There's a reason we don't have a membership card to The Giant Store that Sells Supersize Items in Mass Quantities.

My husband, you see, has a problem.

I refer to his belief that Big is Better, to his theory that we save money by purchasing six bottles (at a time) of an alleged kitchen cleaner that doesn't clean a damn thing.

Now I have nothing against his desire to purchase 100 rolls of toilet paper in one go. We use it. Well, most of us use it. The younger people in this house still don't understand that our butt-wiping requests are not negotiable.

I do, however, have a problem with the bottle of olive oil that's too heavy for me to heave down from the overhead cabinet. Or the lemonade jug that requires a crane to assist in the pouring process.

Each time Hubs has tagged along with our membership card-carrying friends on their trips to The Giant Store, I cringe.

But that's OK. Because in the near future, The Store that Aids in Clutter Elimination is opening here.

And boy, do I have plans for his deer antlers and antique family knick-knacks.

Because there's no such thing as too many cute, striped storage boxes -- and the bigger, the better.

19 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I totally agree with you. What good is a giant sized bottle of something or other if you have to store it in the garage or in the basement or in the shed out back?

I also agree, that you can never have enough cute striped storage boxes!

flutter said...

amen to your last line. amen.

Paige said...

Yes, to cute storage. A thousand times yes!

ShannanB said...

OMG.. I think we are married to the same man.... You should see the Gimongus jug o vegetable oil we have. It won't even fit in the cupboard.

Life As I Know It said...

ooooh, I LOVE the Store Than Aids In Clutter Elimination. Bins, pretty boxes, cubbies...love it. I wish there was one closer to me.

Misty DawnS said...

Woohooo for you that The Store that Aids in Clutter Elimination is opening near you!

Kellan said...

Funny post Cathy - I could just imagine you trying to haul that huge bottle of olive oil out of the cabinet - funny! Some of those industrial sized products really are not reasonable for our kitchens - are they?

Your comment on my post tonight was hysterical - about the shrimp tails - yuk - but, so funny!!

Have a good Monday Cathy - see you later. Kellan

Family Adventure said...

I hate bulk buying, too. Not to mention deer antlers. What's with guys and deer antlers??

Happy shopping for striped storage boxes!! :)

Heidi

Nadine said...

Oh, i wish we had a store like that here! Everybody needs striped boxes!

LTYM said...

We were in Kauai last week. It was a gorgeous, sub-tropical day. The palm trees were gently waving in the wind, the sky blue waves were lapping against the golden sand beaches and we...were at Costco.

My husband nneded macadamia nuts. A LOT of macadamia nuts. Oy.

Victoria said...

Oh, that store (the one you're lusting for, not the Big Box one hubs likes....)...that Clutter Elimination Store. Oh, I love that store.

jeanie said...

Oh the olive oil - have you mentioned that it goes off and is only good for you fresh?

My father cannot walk past a bargain - which explains the bulk buy of peanut butter infused blue cheese that once lived in my childhood fridge for five years...

I love the clutter elimination!!

Anonymous said...

My husband has deer antlers...he's been trying for years to get me to hang them over the bed. LOL.

Unsuccessfully, that is.

I've hid them and I won't tell him where they are.

But I looooove me some cute storage boxes.

Damselfly said...

I hear ya. Some things just don't make sense in bulk.

My stepmother was a bulk type. One time a six-pound can of peaches fell on my foot as I opened the pantry door. I was supposed to go out that night to celebrate the birthday of my boyfriend (now my husband). We went out to this fancy place, with me in a fancy outfit -- and crutches.

I think a container is a great place for deer antlers, btw.

Keeping It Real said...

Actually, too much of a good thing is not good. Those cute little storage boxes, a la Christmas, are taking over my living room.

Nell said...

Oh how do I love storage, let me count the ways...

Jen said...

I am hot and bothered just reading this. Because you are SO RIGHT. Too many adorable striped baskets and containers to hold all the crap? NO SUCH THING. Is it a Container Store? You are so lucky!!

I am renting a large vehicle and driving the several hour trek to our nearest big city next month in search of things to store things in - it feels like Christmas.

moosh in indy. said...

I have paid for my membership with pineapples alone. Single solitary (cheap!) pineapples.

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

Do they make those cute striped boxes big enough to stuff kids into?

Hypothetical question.