Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Bad Mommy Confession No. 243

I don't do snow.

Don't get out in it. Don't play in it.

Hate. It.

I'm from Texas. I now live in Arkansas. I'm quite happy with the fact that snowfalls occur only once or twice a year here. (Our winter weather forte is the Incapacitating Ice Storm, which also falls into my Ugh Category.)

So when the Hubs drifted into the bedroom this morning to announce, "It's snowing. You know the kids are going to want to play in it before school," he should have expected my reply:

"You're the snow person. I don't like cold. I don't like wet. Snow duty falls under Daddy Time."

After much sighing and whining, I faked a wee bit of excitement for the kids' benefit and Hubs took them out to play.

I poured a cup of coffee and watched the cuteness from the window. This is what I saw:

Happy children


Not-so-happy snow shepherd


Her expression is similar to the one I wore last year when forced to help build a snowman.

Lest you think I'm a totally negative, blah sort of person -- i mean, who doesn't find snow magical? -- I'm a really fun mom at the pool.

20 comments:

Amie Adams said...

It's always good for the kids to have some Daddy Time I say.

RedWritingHood said...

Being Canadian... I have to say, I hate the snow too... but I might prefer it to being seen in a bathing suit.

flutter said...

I miss snow. I would so rather deal with that than the 115 degrees it gets to be here

Just sayin'

Kellan said...

You're a really fun mom at the pool - ha! Me too! I do love to snow ski though and I love to spend a bit of time in the snow - just now rolling around in or building anything either! Cute post and I so would have been inside with a cup of coffee with you - taking pictures through the window. See ya Cathy - Kellan

Nadine said...

I would be there joining you inside and warm with a hot chocolate! Don't feel bad, daddy time is important too!

jeanie said...

I love the snow! It looks so pretty, and if I ever get to play in it with my daughter, it would mean that we are on HOLIDAY with cash to splash because we are on par with hell in receiving snow!

Great excuse for daddy time, I say!

ShannanB said...

I love your honesty. I don't care for snow much either and try and get my husband to be in charge of snow duty. I know the boys love it and I want them to get out there and have fun, but I figure I was tortured enough with snow by growing up in Iowa.

Family Adventure said...

I bet you ROCK the pool :)

Heidi

Anonymous said...

I actually prefer the snow to the pool - I don't have to wear a swimsuit while making a snowman.

Misty DawnS said...

I don't do cold either! I used to love to play in the snow when I was young, but now I can't stand being cold.

My dogs love the snow, they are like kids running around and playing in it.

dawn224 said...

I've lived in Arizona, I've lived in Minnesota - I didn't care for either one, but I'd always pick AZ summer over MN winter - cuz you don't have to shovel HOT.

Beth Cotell said...

I'm with you. I don't do snow either and I'm not even that fun at the pool. My poor kids....

Julie Pippert said...

I'm all for staying within your strengths. So my area might be a bit narrow, that's why the hubs is here.

carrie said...

Between the 2 of us, I think we'd have it all figured out because I am not so good in the pool -- unless there are no bystanders.

Life As I Know It said...

I'm not a snow person either, and, yet, we've had over a foot of it in our yard since, oh, DECEMBER.

Yeah, not so much fun.

Waiting for spring.

Your kids do look happy though!

Kellan said...

Hi Cathy - Thanks for coming by and thanks for your prayers for our sweet baby. Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

I got you trumped. I rock the snow and the pool.

*Sticks out tongue..*

Glad your kids experienced the joy of a fresh snow fall.

Send them my way. I'll show them a good time outside.

Wink,wink.

Mom of 5 said...

I am from TX and I now live in AZ. In between I lived in CO, UT, and OK, which all got snow. I have moments where I miss the snow. But it's only watching the flakes fall. It's the shoveling, cold, chains on tires, sliding into ditches, frostbite part of it I can do without.

I do feel bad that only 2 out of my 5 kids ever remember playing in snow. I need to remedy that. But like you, I think I'll let Daddy handle it while I watch from the window, warm and cozy.

Paige said...

I'm fun on the back deck with a cocktail...

Come over?

Tammy said...

Ha Ha, I found this post really amusing. I'm from Missouri, but now living in South Texas and find that I LOVE the climate here and RARELY miss the snow. I miss photographing it. Sometimes. And I miss sledding. Sometimes, and it sure doesn't last long! I'm counting the days to swimming season!