Wednesday, February 13, 2008

They called him Baby James

Each day, he rode a girl's lavender bicycle through an Arkansas Pentecostal church camp, prompting delighted shouts from everyone who saw him whiz by.

In response, Baby James would flash a mischievous grin.

I wrote about Baby James in the fall of 2005, in the midst of working on Hurricane Katrina follow-ups.

Baby James was 5 at the time, a survivor of New Orleans' floodwaters. His uncle had carried him to safety, and, after a few days at the city's convention center, the pair ended up at a wooded, rural church camp here in Arkansas.

Baby James quickly befriended the group of church volunteers manning the camp's kitchen. These older women doted on him, scolding him with indulgent smiles when he deliberately missed the school bus.

Donations to the camp included the lavender bicycle, which Baby James quickly appropriated. Everyone I interviewed knew him — not only the volunteers, but the many displaced men and women who longed to go home.

"Hey, it's Baby James!" they called out whenever he sped by.

Baby James had no mother. His relatives, including the uncle who carried him to safety, wouldn't talk about her. They said she'd left the family long ago.

The little boy had been raised by several aunties, many of whom had remained in Louisiana. They wanted him back.

And Baby James, despite the joy he found in kindergarten truancy and his lavender bicycle, wanted to go home.

On Oct. 15, 2005, I watched Baby James board a bus with his uncle. They were heading back to New Orleans. The two would live with one of the little boy's aunties. Uncle Clay had found work with a contractor doing cleanup and reconstruction.

When the cafeteria workers heard he was leaving, they rushed to kiss him goodbye. A group of Katrina victims cheered as Baby James boarded a bus.

Never mind that they were still stuck here. The little boy was going home.

Even now, nearly 2 1/2 years later, I still smile when I look at this picture:

21 comments:

Family Adventure said...

That IS an amazing picture. Look at that smile. I hope he's doing well!

Heidi

delaneydiariesmama said...

You can't help but beam when you see that picture! What a beautiful, happy child.

MadMad said...

Awww! I wonder how he's doing now...?

Waiting Amy said...

What I wouldn't give to feel that kind of pure joy again. Beautiful.

Beth Cotell said...

Oh the joy in his face! So beautiful. I hope he's doing well today.

Kellan said...

This whole story made me SMILE!! I love that this tiny little child could bring such JOY to those around him in the midst of such turmoil! What a great story Cathy - well done! See you soon. Kellan

flutter said...

What a SWEETHEART.

furiousBall said...

this might just be the codeine talking after the wisdom teeth getting pulled, but what the heck, let's get married

Liv said...

um, cathy, look above my name, and listen carefully: that is the codeine talking. really.

seriously, though, that is a beautiful story, and james is about the cutest little thing ever. i hope he is doing well.

Amy said...

Oh the stories. How I miss the stories.

This was a great one.

carrie said...

Oh Cathy, your words. Magical.

Paige said...

Wonderful story and a beautiful picture of a beautiful, joyous boy.

P

Anonymous said...

I love your stories. He looks like the sweetest little kid.

-andi

Unknown said...

great story and even better picture. Thanks for sharing.

Dallas Meow said...

awesomeness -

Maggie Ginsberg-Schutz said...

Best job ever, isn't it? If only there was a way to check in on him somehow....

Keeping It Real said...

It's making me smile, too, and tear up a little.

Anonymous said...

Damn, he's cute and SO HAPPY in the midst of all of that. Hope he's still got that grin. Thanks for sharing him

Nell said...

What a cutie! And what a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

Amie Adams said...

What a wonderful post!! I knew exactly who everyone was through your descriptions.

I hope the Aunties are taking good care of Baby James.

Victoria said...

This was lovely. I hope Baby James is doing well. That photo is delightful! Look how happy!