Tuesday, August 28, 2007

You want me at your workplace. Really.

My last post and the recollection of having to tell a new employer I was pregnant brought to mind the many interviews I've had in the 13 years since getting that college degree.

In my 20s, I roamed. Frequently. From age 23 to 29, I worked at four newspapers before heading to Arkansas. I stayed here 5 years, then Hubs and I figured we'd try heading back to our home state of Texas.

Opportunity presented itself in the spring of 2004 in San Antonio.

It was the most memorable job interview ever.

Hubs and I had just wrapped up a week's vacation in Big Bend when we headed to San Antonio to discuss our prospects there.

By late afternoon, I'd met with several editors and reporters. Hubs, meanwhile, was hanging out with photographers and photo editors.

That particular day, a longtime editor happened to be leaving for a new job at a sister newspaper.

So the higher-ups brought in a mariachi band for the festivities.

I stood, swaying in appreciation, in a hallway just off the newsroom.

Suddenly, one member of the ensemble headed in my direction. He was laughing, beckoning.

I looked behind me. I looked around me.

Oh my God, is he coming toward me?

"I don't work here," I mouthed to the young, grinning man as he approached. "No, no!"

But he grabbed my hand and tugged.

Now I have done my share of dancing -- the Chicken Dance, the Macarena, you name it, I've probably attempted it. But only under the influence of alcohol and dim lighting.

Now, here I was, dressed in a a fitted, interview-appropriate skirt and shirt, being hauled in front of the newsroom. Sober. Under fluorescent lighting.

He made me do the twist. In front of prospective employers. He took me all the way down to the floor.

"Hey, man." A photographer nudged Hubs, who had joined the gathering but was too busy talking to pay attention to the mariachi band.

"Isn't that your wife up there?"

Hubs turned, just as my ass was inches from the floor, my hips still swiveling, face flushed with humiliation.

"Oh. Yeah. That's Cathy. You can't take her anywhere."

12 comments:

MadMad said...

Mariachi bands!? Newspaper goodbye parties must be more fun in Texas... we only got the supermarket cake kinds of parties. Love your blog!

Amy said...

I'm guessing you got the job. How could they refuse you after an introduction like that?

Anonymous said...

Did hubs not take a picture of this embarrassing moment then?

Anonymous said...

I too would like pictures! And tell your Hubs he's not the only one- Steve can't take me anywhere either.

OhTheJoys said...

Wow. That would be totally weird. I hope you got the job.

Anonymous said...

You better have gotten the job!

Anonymous said...

I DO want you in my workplace. Really.

Newsrooms rule.

Jen said...

Oh - the agony! What a great post.

Bananas said...

oh you are SO my kind of girl.

Julie Pippert said...

LOL...that rocks. So what happened?

I love how you carpe diem, seriously!

Julie
Ravin' Picture Maven

MrsFierceShoes said...

My boss just told our company higher-ups three weeks ago that she was preggers (3 months) and they let her go last Friday. How's that for a kick in the pants?

Damselfly said...

So I hope they gave you a job after a performance like that!