Saturday, February 17, 2007

Day care dilemmas...

...finally are resolved, but oh, the hand-wringing and anxiety attacks involved...ugh.

Warning: This is a rant.

Both of my children were enrolled at the same day care. They were happy. We were happy. All was well.

Then came the notice, during re-enrollment.

It was highlighted in pink. It read: "Attention: Parents of children who will be attending pre-k -- Due to pre-k space being very limited, re-enrollment will be on a first-come first-serve basis."

On the actual re-enrollment form was another warning, also highlighted in pink: "Attention: Fall 07 Pre-K parents -- Please ask the receptionist to date your form upon return. Due to limited space, Pre-K enrollment will be on a first-come, first-serve basis."

OK, yeah, I got it. You don't have enough space for all those 3-year-olds who are due to be promoted. Even worse, this isn't because of some sudden surge in the 3-year-old population at the day care.

You see, the same notices came out last year. I thought it was a one-time issue. Apparently, I was wrong.

It's called overbooking.

Just last month, the day care enrolled two new 3-year-olds, knowing they already didn't have room to accomodate the kids already there.

Overbooking.

The end result is that parents are pitted against one another, racing to snatch up the prized, limited spaces -- no matter how long their kids have already been enrolled.

Hubs was pissed. No, make that absolutely livid. I, on the other hand, was panicked.

We had few options.

Tootie's not eligible for the public schools here because the PreK classes are for low-income families only. As for private schools or other day cares -- well, you'd have to have gotten on a waiting list at least a year or two ago to stand even the whisper of a most ardent prayer of getting your kid in.

At the last minute, after dozens of calls, we found a spot at a place my stepkids once attended, back when they used to go to summer day camp. In order to get it, however, we had to go ahead and transfer Amanda now.

We really like this new place. And Tootie seems to be adapting well, much better than I expected. Best of all, they don't kick out kids for lack of room.

Still, I'm bitter.

I knew, back when I got pregnant with Tootie, I would have to worry about getting her into a day care. I didn't realize, however, that I also would have to worry about KEEPING her there.

All right, end of vent. Just had to release some of the stress I've been suffering since those blasted notices came out.

1 comment:

Becca said...

We ran into a similar situation at Allie's school. She's in a 2-day Pre-K program at a Catholic school 2 miles from our house. They sent out registration notices with bold type as well telling us that although there are 2 Kinder classes and as currently enrolled families we have a slot, BUT there are 2 families traveling in from out of town who will be in on Saturday (the day after ours is due) to register. Sounds threatening to me. Plus we have to fork over the registration fee, now, too.