Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Why I took my kids to the site of a tornado's destruction

On Friday, Arkansas suffered another round of tornadoes. Seven people, including three children, died.

Hubs, as usual, was out in the midst of it. Shortly after the storms, he found a family who had lost their house. They already were struggling -- the dad lost his job when the Feb. 5 tornadoes destroyed a boat factory, where he was a welder. His best friend died in that one.

This family, like many others in that part of the state, had taken a double whammy.

Hubs told me about the family. "It's a story," he assured me. I absolutely agreed.

So on Sunday, we loaded our kids into the car and headed up to that part of the state.

"Are we bad parents for taking them along?" I asked Hubs. "You know how Tootie has fixated on tornadoes this spring."

"I think they'll be OK," he said. But his tone indicated his own uncertainty.

We drove down a long rutted driveway, up to a pile of splintered rubble.

The family told me all about how the two tornadoes had taken everything they'd worked so hard for. The most harrowing part of their story, however, was the mother's description of how she nearly lost her 17-month-old girl. The second tornado very nearly sucked the toddler from her arms. This woman had already suffered two miscarriages -- one of the lost babies was her little girl's twin.

As the pair tumbled through the air, debris battered the mother. When I interviewed her, she had two black eyes. Bruises and scratches covered her arms and legs. She told me how she would be damned before she let anything take her baby.

My daughter heard much of this interview. And now she's old enough to understand such
things.

As the mother and I talked, Hubs shot photos while the E-man toddled along after him.

"Where's the house?" my boy kept asking, unable to accept that the wreckage in front of him could possibly be the remains of someone's home.

"That WAS the house," his sister said. "The tornado got it."

"Oh," the E-man said, clearly unconvinced.





That baby you see in her daddy's arms had only two scrapes on her. Clearly, she was buffered by a mommy's love.

My daughter saw that, heard how this mother had saved her baby. And while Tootie remains scared of tornadoes, she was reassured to meet people who had lived through one.

I monitor my kids' television-watching closely. They watch Noggin or their DVDs, and that's about it.

But this -- this was real. Bad things happen. But good people step in to help. I wanted so much for her to understand this.

And today. Was. Wonderful.

I took phone calls and emails all morning from readers who wanted to help this family. When people respond that way to your story -- well, yes, it was worth it.

The family is getting donations. And my children, I hope, realized that one day they might be in a position to do the same for someone in need. I want to nurture empathy in them. I want them to understand that while we can't give them everything their friends have, they already have way more than others.

Was it wrong to take our kids to the site? Maybe some parents would think so. But I am so glad we did it. They saw the devastation, yes. But they also witnessed a family's strength. They realized that it is our obligation to help in whatever way we can.

18 comments:

flutter said...

I think you absolutely made the right choice

Family Adventure said...

It is hard to strike a balance between wanting to protect and needing to prepare and educate our children.

I'm not sure what I would have done, but it seems to me that you made the right choice for you and your kids.

Heidi

cara said...

I think that you definitely did the right thing. It's really important for kids to see the world, know how other people live and to know the difference that they can make. Too many kids are too sheltered from this stuff, parents too scared to let their children see that anything bad happens in the world and too many people are growing up to not know, or just plain old not care.

What a heart wrenching story. But thank god that the family survived unharmed.

jeanie said...

I think it is always a balance of wanting to "protect" your children from real life and wanting to educate them on real life.

While it is not as near or real, our 8 year old is getting to watch the news with us now. The Burma tragedy has had some impact with her and we are able to talk more about giving and being so darned lucky.

Anonymous said...

I think kids need to understand that bad things happen, that people survive and that life goes on and most importantly that we can all help each other.

Julie Pippert said...

I agree. I think kids need to know that bad things happen but when you pull together, you can make it through.

Hearing that mom's story and how she held on to her baby choked me up. Then seeing her, the husband and the baby. TG they lived. TG.

So glad the community is helping.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I loved how you turned something so awful and sad, into something positive. I really think this was an amazing learning opportunity for your kids. You're such a good mama.

carrie said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you did.

I remember whe Mt. St. Helen's erupted, I was 7. A few months later my parents took us on a tour of the area - mud up to the tops of trees, homes destroyed, roads washed out - and all that was going through my mind were the stories of people who didn't make it. We didn't see anyone who did, or speak with survivors . . . I only had the negative. Still, do this day, I feel unsettled thinking about natural disasters - earthquakes - again, I saw a lot of devastation.

But strangely, the possibility of fire doesn't scare me. We've taken our kids to fire scenes (where nobody was hurt seriously) that my husband has worked. They've seen burnt down buildings. They've given to the family's who are left, intact and happy to be alive.

And you know what? They aren't afraid either. They know that the world isn't a horrible place, but that bad things do happen and people (we, humans) can get through those bad things if we have each other to lean on.

Awesome post, Cathy.

Victoria said...

I echo what the others have said - it's a delicate balance between what just showing them these sadnesses, and exposing to them to the whole spectrum of badness can bring goodness.

You did good, mama.

Damselfly said...

Oh, I'm crying. I know journalists get blamed for a lot. But like you, they can do good, too. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said by other commenters. I agree, you know your children and made the right decision for them. You are lovingly and carefully teaching them about life, with the support to take it in.

You do an amazing job. You and your Hubs both.

Amy said...

That is what we call perfect parenting, friend.

Nadine said...

You're a great mom, Cathy!

And written so well! You should write professionally, you'd rock at it! Oh you do already :) Seriously, you are such a talented writer.

Candance said...

Deb said exactly what I was thinking- only better.

ninjapoodles said...

Well done.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know I read the story in the newspaper and also the one about Bunny and her new life. What a great gift you have as a writer!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely not wrong.

We do our kids no favors by sheltering them from the suffering of others. No favors at all.

Yours is a gift, and your job is a unique resource for them.

Absolutely not wrong at all.

Anonymous said...

1. Good choice.

2. OMG, one more reason to like you. You're a fellow lefty.