Anyone?
I'm not seeing any raised hands.
My 20-year high school reunion is this summer. I'm one of the idiots who responded to email inquiries and now find myself accidentally on the planning committee.
*sigh*
When discussions first began, my high school BFFs, Nicole and Mary, and I exchanged a flurry of emails. Finally, Nicole got to the heart of the matter.
She sent this email.
SUBJECT: Time for the truth
Are y'all fat?
And we all agreed that years, babies, etc... have helped us pack on a few too many pounds.
Enter K. She's always been skinny, to the point of looking emaciated (snark, snark, snark, yeah, I know) and snotty. She was a popular girl. An unfriendly one.
Nicole, Mary and I fell into the alternative cool group. We were brainy, but cute. Nerdy but funny. We were nice to people, all people.
K. -- she was smart. Thin. But ever so snooty.
She is also on the reunion planning committee.
We are having three events -- a casual drinks night on a Friday; the main event on a Saturday; and a family day on Sunday.
After having discussed the importance of not making this cost-prohibitive, K. promptly suggested the VERY pricey waterpark.
As my friend Mary, who doesn't have children, put it: I'm curious about other people's kids, but not curious enough to pay $40 for the experience.
I responded: Yeah, I agree. I'm also not inclined to throw down $100-plus dollars so that my former classmates can see me STUFFED INTO A SWIMSUIT!
Egads. Seriously, who would want to subject themselves to that? And quite honestly, I don't want to see these people from my past in various stages of undress either.
Our newspaper once decided to have the company picnic at a waterpark.
Attendance was much lower that year.
Duh.
17 comments:
Ouch!! No way.
Our "kid friendly" activity was the botanic gardens - free and very unstructured!
I wish ours did that---it would make the no very easy. LOL
I was the skinny girl, but not snooty or the Big Popular One. I did all right---cute enough to be accepted, not so cute as to be a threat, friendly enough to have friends, smart enough to hang with the smarts, etc. Included enough---average jane in other words.
So is the waterpark out?
No. Friggin. Way.
How about a picnic in a park? That way people can spend as much or as little as they want....
Um...yeah...NO!
Even if I looked fabulous in a swimsuit (and I don't) I still would think that was a bad idea. If I'm taking my kid to a waterpark, I don't want my attention to be split. And that whole seeing former classmates in swimsuits idea...ick.
Family, very close friends, and total strangers I will never have to see again, that's who gets to see me in a bathingsuit. Period. Ex-classmates and coworkers? Think again.
Oh, dear Lord, NO! No bathing suits! A nice little field day, with burgers and maybe a band of some kind and some balls to throw around. That's all. I don't even let my own family see me in a bathing suit - I'm certainly not going to let former classmates (or GASP -current co-workers) see me in one! YIKES!
Um yeah... my 10 year reunion is this summer. And while I'm actually doing pretty good body wise considering I have a one year old... I might be more appalled if I had to think about going swimming with the classmates! Right now it doesn't seem like a horrid idea because I LOVE water, but I might think twice if it were actually on the agenda. Thankfully it's not! We're having a day at the park, but there won't be a lot of bigger kids running around I'm betting as it is only our 10 year reunion.
Good luck with that since you're on the committee... can't you just outvote her 3-1?
Ix-nay on the otter-park-way.
Do you pick up what I'm laying down?
Not that I don't think you'd look fabulous, because you would. But the whole thing is a little too intimate for a reunion and plus, how many would feel comfortable enough to truly visit while standing around half-naked?
I vote for picnic in the park - let the kids run in a sprinkler.
I missed my last reunion because I had just moved to Texas. My best friend from HS sent me photos afterwards.
Seems no one we went to school with went.
Just a bunch of old fat women and old fat bald men.
;)
I um, "missed" reunion for 10th and 15th. No 20th and it'll be 30(omg I an so freaking old I coulda dated Pharoah)in 2010. Bathing suit? There's always one witch...
Some people just don't change...
Heidi
No frackin' way (and what Heidi said). My company (yes, a workplace) once planned a sales-meeting cocktail hour poolside with pool games.
None of the female managers or workers showed up.
No way!!
So, what did you all decide on?
Gasp! I shouldn't say it, but it's my 20th too. There's a whole weekend of events being planned. I've never been to a reunion and don't really feel inclined to go. There were only 63 people in our class, and none of them were really friends -- my friends were in upper or lower grades for some reason. But yeah, swimsuits? Everyone knows people try to lose weight and look their best for these reunions!
PS
Happy Mother's Day!
Wow. No way would I want to wear a swimsuit at my reunion!
Swimsuits at reunions are just wrong.
Unless your reunion is on reality TV, in which case it's a recipe for hijinks.
But I'm guessing your reunion isn't headed for prime time.
In which case: Feh to the suits!
Post a Comment