Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Stop the holiday whirl -- I want off!

OK, I'm actually a little calmer than I was a few days ago, but that could be the Benedryl I'm taking for this cold my daughter so generously passed on to me.

Anyway, I've been a bad bloggy friend. I'm going to begin catching up on my blog-reading tonight.

Thanks to all of you, dear readers, for your support and insight during my days-long panic attack. Your comments made me feel less crazy and evil.

So. Stepson is not getting a car and -- gasp! -- despite my fears, the matter was settled amicably.

And Hubs told my brother-in-law that we couldn't continue to buy all these of holiday presents for people we don't know. AND HE STOOD HIS GROUND. This is progress, people, real progress.

Actually, I think my PMS (combined with holiday stress) was scaring him. Perhaps now is the time to tell him that I still don't want to go to my in-laws, even though we'll be back before Christmas Eve?

Oh, I dread this. More later as to why I got off on the wrong foot with these people.

For now, I'll end with this exchange between Stepdaughter and myself during a shopping trip Sunday.

Scene: We are in the car, headed to the next store.

CATHY: [squeals!] Hey, that's Bon Jovi! I used to love them! [turns up radio until "Bad Medicine" is blaring.]

STEPDAUGHTER: You mean this isn't a new band? I thought they just came out.

CATHY: Oh dear child, this band was HUGE when I was in junior high and high school. You've heard "You Give Love a Bad Name" or "Livin on a Prayer" haven't you?

Stepdaughter shakes her head.

CATHY: No way! What about "Wanted, dead or alive" -- you've heard that one, surely.

STEPDAUGHTER: [shaking head again] No. I've only heard that song that just came out, you know, the one they play on the country music or easy listening stations.

omigod, one of my big-hair bands is now considered "easy-listening"

oh, my aching ego


12 comments:

Julie Pippert said...

Hey, excellent resolutions to those issues!! I'm so glad!

And glad you feel better, albeit with a cold.

Hang in there and enjoy the flashback and easy listening stations. :)

Julie
Using My Words

MyThreeBlogs said...

Wait. Bon Jovi. Easy Listening? Siiiggghh... I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Glad everything's worked out.

Paige said...

I will echo the "easy listening?? what???" sentiments of your readership.

OhTheJoys said...

I have been a bad blog friend too. It's been impossible to keep up with the holidays and my current work schedule. Gah!

I can't imagine big hair bands as easy listening, but... I fear I am OLD!!

MiChelly said...

Glad things are getting settled for you.

It is sad how the bands we loved are getting re classed now by the new generations. My husband is an 80's freak and hates the new line ups on his favs.

Family Adventure said...

Yeah to Hubster! That's awesome news.

And LOL about Bon Jovi -- easy listening!

Heidi

Misty DawnS said...

Oh, I TRULY have to comment on this post! My husband and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bon Jovi! They are our ultimate favorites. We have seen them in concert three times so far, and plan on seeing them on the tour they are on right now too. In fact, my husband was bidding on an auction for some tickets this morning. We are truly obsessed Bon Jovi fans.

Unknown said...

I am glad that hubby came around to your wishes.

jeanie said...

Hey - great news on the wins!!

I was never a huge hair band fan, but it is quite amusing to see a lot of what we saw as cutting edge move through mainstream and into the "easy listening" graveyard!

Jeanie

Kellan said...

Sorry about the cold. And that was too cute, that conversation! Take care. Kellan

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has had trouble being a good bloggy friend what with the insanity that is the holidays.

And I'm so happy those issues got solved. That is fabulous.

andi from Poot and Cubby

dawn224 said...

easy listening? wha?