Last night, while Hubs was reading the kids their second bedtime story, I decided to throw in a load of laundry.
The new bottle of detergent, however, refused to open.
I ran it under hot water, banged it against the kitchen counter a few times, hoping to loosen it up, but no luck.
And thus began this conversation with myself:
I'll just go get Hubs to open it.
Why? Used to be a time when you dealt with this sort of thing on your own. Because, you know, you were an independent woman who didn't have to run to Hubs with a detergent bottle or a jar of spaghetti sauce or ...
OK, OK, I get the point. But the damn thing won't OPEN.
Well bang it against the counter again. You've got to regain your self-sufficiency. No need to depend on the Man of the House. So show me you've still got it. Open the detergent.
At this point, Hubs is interrupted in his reading by all the clamoring in the kitchen.
BANG! BANG! BANG!
And then ...
"Oh, shit!"
"What happened?" he asked dashing into the kitchen, where he immediately hydroplaned across the tile floor.
"What the hell?" he gasped, looking at the neon-green goo that covered the floor and cabinets.
"This looks like a scene out of Ghostbusters."
"Well, I was trying to open this detergent, and it ... well, it broke."
Hubs rolled his eyes.
It took several rounds of vinegar and towels before we concluded that our floor no longer had the surface of an ice rink.
As we sprawled on the couches with our glasses of wine, he asked, "Why didn't you bring that to me? I would have opened it for you."
And Premenstrual Cathy snarled, "Why should I be forced to go to a MAN to do something I should be able to do myself?! Grrr."
Hubs, focusing immediately on the telltale snarl, wisely dropped the subject.
---------------------------------------------------
In other news, I am now in possession of the slutty Barbie pics. I'm thinking about posting them elsewhere so that you won't open up this here Site of Maternal Serenity and get blasted by pictures of Barbie romping with various partners on the couch. First, however, I have a technical glitch that will require B.'s assistance. (having trouble opening most of the photos -- B., if you're reading this - help!)
Ooh, and maybe just for fun, I'll set up a little Q&A with B. and you guys can hear for yourselves how all this came to pass.
(He is not, however, allowed to describe how I tripped and fell on my face for no apparent reason in downtown Memphis.)
All right, I'm up way past my already-late bedtime.
Photos tomorrow. Somewhere.
12 comments:
Heh. Cathy. That first part -- about the detergent, I could have written that!
Looking forward to the Barbie update.
Heidi :)
LOL at you...I am the SAME way.
At least he helped mop up!
My husband gets annoyed with me whenever we go anywhere that we must carry things (e.g., from the grocery store to the car, which, by the way, shopping with the hubs is a bad plan). I'm just so used to doing for myself, by myself and loading up my arms with about 2 times as much as I ought to carry that I just do it.
He says I look like a pack mule and he feels like an a$$hole. LOL
And I'M IN for the photos!!! And the interview!
That must have been a big ol' mess - that detergent. But, good for you - being all independent and all!
I'm sort of looking forward to those pictures - in a warped I-can't-hardly-wait-to-see-them sort of way. See you soon. Kellan
the Boy and I went to a warehouse store (coughsamscough)and he was standing by the cart when I flung an entire box of pellegrino onto the belt and he just said
"thanks for the public vasectomy!"
heh...
You had me laughing out loud. Thanks! Maternal serenity~~oxymoron and you know it!
HUGS
ha ha ha - I always tell V that the main reason I got him was to open jars and stuff!
I love that you have him trained to heed the snarl!!
Note to self: don't bang laundry soap bottle on kitchen counter.
Oh I laughed out loud at that!
I ask Steve to do all kinds of things that I really could do myself. But then other times he takes too long and so I just go ahead... I figure it evens out.
Can't wait for the Barbie pictures!
I'm like Nell. I get hubs to do all sorts of stuff, just cause. He's the wine opener, the laundry basket toter (when he's not watching football anyway), the car washer, the tight-lid pryer-opener, etc. Hell, I figure I do enough of the tuff stuff as it is.
BTW, I'm borrowing (stealing?) your NaBlo button. I didn't do all that work for nuttin', honey! (remember that cereal commercial? Nuttin' honey.)
I can hook you up with space to put the pix...
Post a Comment