Friday, September 07, 2007

Yes, it's a vinyl shirt. With a zipper.



I wore it on an August night. In Arkansas. I nearly suffered a heat stroke.

This kind of fashion faux pas, my friends, occurs when a Texas girl decides to move to the Land of the Hogs and develops a huge crush on a photographer at work.

I'd already indicated my interest by running my foot up and down his leg one night, after a few too many fruity little drinks. My prey was unnerved, however, probably because my then-boyfriend was sitting at the same table.

Yes, I know. But trust me, Former Boyfriend does not deserve your pity.

Anyway, stronger measures were clearly needed.

In August 2000, a group of us decided to go dancing one night at the Electric Cowboy (formerly known as BJ's Star-Studded Honky Tonk, back when Paula Jones was a regular customer). I knew, as soon as I found out the photographer was going, that I had to go shopping.

I am ashamed to admit I bought this rat-ugly shirt because of the zipper. I could choose the degree of cleave depending on how the night was going.

Eight months later, I married the hunted-and-bagged photographer.

How could I possibly throw this shirt away? The sentiment positively dangles from that zipper. It was my most effective/efficient makeout shirt ever and I am loathe to give up the last reminder of my days as a skinny seductress. (please note: the photo above was taken last night, not back then)

ALSO NOTE: I have NOT worn this shirt since that fateful night. I am guilty only of leaving it in the closet.

So. Why would I leave you with this image of me on a Friday?

Because I'm participating in this week's Parent Bloggers' Blog Blast.

Want to share my humiliation? Simply follow the instructions issued by these clearly diabolical people, who are asking moms to review a new book called The Little Black Book of Style. (I'm not one of those moms. I just enjoy sharing the scary contents of my wardrobe.)

Back to the instructions:

Tell us how your style has deteriorated over the years and provide some photographic evidence - a picture of the most hideous item that’s still darkening your closet - and ‘fess up to why it’s still in there!

Winner gets a $250 Coach certificate.

Perhaps I should keep the shirt. A Coach might make it almost hip...

Nah.

20 comments:

Karianna said...

Oh, my! :)

The funny thing is that I kinda like it.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Shocking that the shirt hasn't seen the light of day since...

And how I wish I had the privilege of determining the degree of cleavage by purchasing a zippered shirt. Sadly, my visible cleavage range is pretty small - almost nothing, or nothing.

Keeping It Real said...

Vinyl? That's the new pleather, isn't it? Or is vinyl the same as pleather? I can honestly say I've never owned anything quite like that, but I admire the means behind your madness (meant only in the nicest way).

Bananas said...

AAGGHHH!!! I So cannot compete with that shirt. Awesome.

Jennifer said...

I have that heinous "shirt" in black. What were we thinking?!

flutter said...

Oh my gosh, does that thing just beg for industrial strength deodorant?

jeanie said...

he he - I can just imagine the malodourous aftermath of a hot vinyl night!!

Mind you - that photo was only last night? One hot mama!

Anonymous said...

Devil woman! So calculating! You are my hero. And, I kinda like the shirt, too, even though the zipper would show no cleavage on me. I inherited my Dad's chest...and my Mom's mustache.
Good luck with the contest!

Shelby said...

I think he should wear it. :)

Julie Pippert said...

This post is hilarious but I am sorry to say I've been reading the entries and...that shirt isn't even in the top 10% of the worst. And I can't even say that you ought to get rid of it! I'm thinking...shadow box.

KIDDING!

LOL as always.

Julie
Using My Words

Anonymous said...

Whoa! It's not really that bad, though.

I can think of worse things that could be in a person's closet. :)

Tuesday Girl said...

It is bad, but not as bad as christmas sweaters with bells on it.

ShannanB said...

I love it! I think I have a couple of "those shirts" in my closet as well.....

Heather said...

Oh the crazy fashion things we do in the name of horniness.

Jen said...

Meeeeow!

carrie said...

You cannot get rid of that shirt. Ever!!

Anonymous said...

According to Elle's Nina Garcia, you need to embrace this shirt, nay, flaunt all that it is and more.

Hell, I'd go drinking in it.

Amanda said...

Brilliant.

Damselfly said...

You are very brave.

And fun!

Marmite Breath said...

I still can't get over the BJ Star Studded Honky Tonk reference. I tried to learn line dancing there once WHEN I WAS PREGNANT! Oh, dear baby Jesus, that's a horrible memory.

PS) The vinyl vest must stay. Memories! Make a vinyl quilt out of it. No, wait, that would be uncomfortable. Never mind. I suck at advice.