Saturday, July 21, 2007

Oh, the pampering!

I'm home again, after a week away from the wee people.

I missed them like crazy, of course, but was reminded, at the same time, of how Birth 2 differed from Birth 1 -- in that the second time, I knew better than to look forward to my release from the hospital. With Child No. 2, in fact, I asked to stay an extra day. Mama did NOT raise no fool.

To any new moms considering or expecting a second child: Beg for that extra day at the hospital. Grovel, if you must. Because we're talking about 24-hour room service and your last opportunity to sleep. And yeah, yeah, yeah, you kept that first baby in the room with you constantly, insisting that the nurses bring him/her back each time they left with the rolling bassinet for exams, tests and blah-de-blah. Trust me -- when Kid No. 2 arrives, you will plead with them to keep the baby in the nursery.

"Oh, just give him a little sugar water or a paci if necessary. Just please DO NOT DISTURB me until 7 a.m." And then you'll take your Percocet, roll over and pass out with nary a twinge of guilt.

Because at home, a busy toddler awaits. And a husband. And a dog. And you will never, ever feel as pampered as you do when a nurse visits your bedside every four hours and inquires, "Painkillers, honey?"

In the past week, I've vegged in bed. I've vegged on the couch. I left the house only two times in seven days and I am telling you -- it was fucking glorious. My mom and dad brought me breakfast each morning. They asked throughout the day if I needed anything. Me? Can you imagine?!

Now I did think about those sweet little things back at home, constantly. (Many of those thoughts, I'll confess, revolved around my daughter's newly shorn head. Did I mention that she cut it all the way to the freaking scalp in the back? My kid has a buzz going up the back of her neck. I'm still cringing.)

So. I'm back home. I have many blogs to catch up on, many clothes to wash. But I can say with assurance that if there is a Baby No. 3, you will be able to look down at the asphalt and see the fingernail marks all the way from the hospital entrance to our house.

Because this past week I've had a fleeting taste of being waited on, the first since those hospital stays. And really, I would like to cultivate it.

11 comments:

Nell said...

Let's work on this cultivation thing some more. I think it is an excellent idea, and would like to join you as soon a possible. How about tomorrow, does tomorrow work for you?

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether to thank you for the sound advice or run shrieking from your blog after hearing the brutal truth about having the second child. I mean, it's stuff I've heard, but not stuff I've lived and each time I learn these tips from moms of two like you, sharp chills run down my spine as I wonder what the fuck I've gotten myself into.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Glad you were pampered and got to enjoy it!

OhTheJoys said...

I am so jealous! A week?! I am so sick too... a week would be heaven.

Nadine said...

You just crack me up with that remark about the asphalt! Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

A whole week? Fucking glorious is exactly how I would describe it too. And the asphalt remark? Classic. I will not be able to test such a theory as hubs will be getting the ol' snip snip to avoid our having a #3. Two is enough for me.

moosh in indy. said...

And I am proud to say I'm good with one.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm.... sounds like you had a lovely few days. Except the haircut. But hair grows back.

BTW, she still has that lovely sparkle in her eyes in picture #2! Looks like she's a real do-er!

J. A. Blackburn said...

oh so true... if I ever up back in the hospital I'll be staying for a while. If only they served alcohol I might NEVER leave!

Julie Pippert said...

Oh WOW...I am so stuck with happy for you and jealous for me LOL. That sounds like HEAVEN.

Anonymous said...

So you liked that week of pampering and want more? You know as well as I do that once there are kids in the house the pampering is out the window. In sixteen years or so, those kids will go off to college. If you add a third child to the mix, baby, you might get a day or two of pampering in the hospital, yeah. But, then you have to wait 18 more years for hopes of more!
I'm glad you are feeling a little better.