Friday, June 01, 2007

Nightly negotiations

This is my contribution to the latest Blog Blast, sponsored by Parent Bloggers and E-Harmony Marriage. The winner receives — gasp! — a date with one's spouse. Remember those? Nights of adult conversation and S-E-X? Good. Glad you do. Because I don't.

The topic:

“You know you need a date with your husband/partner when…

1.) ... you don't worry about the fact that you were unable to refill your prescription for birth control pills because any romping in the marital bed requires much scheduling and re-scheduling, as well as cooperative children who actually fall asleep after they have been tucked in for the night.

(HUBS: "Well, what about tomorrow night?"

CATHY, after flipping through unwieldy mental calendar: "Um ... no, not a good night for me. I'll be at the height of PMS and therefore soooo not in the mood. In fact, you'll be lucky if you're still alive by that point.")


2.) ... you rarely eat out because it's just too exhausting.

("No, no, no! Do NOT pour the salt on the table. No, you broke all the crayons, you don't get anymore. Quick, quick! He's choking on a lemon rind!!)

3.) ... Your lingerie was abandoned long ago for Hubs' old, oversized softball shirts, which, when paired with pink, plaid flannel pajamas, make a rather stunning bedtime statement.

(Like, "No, sweetie. You're not getting any tonight." or "I'm about to finish the book I started three months ago. How about tomorrow? After Tootie falls asleep. If we're still awake...")

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only three months? You finished it? I'm jealous.

FENICLE said...

Too funny. I wrote about the fact I refused to keep spending $40 a month for birth control pills that were not being put to use!!!!

mama k said...

Funny entry! Yeah, not so careful on the BC anymore either.

Found you via the blast. My entry is here http://mamaknj.blogspot.com/2007/06/you-know-you-need-date.html

J. A. Blackburn said...

ha ha... your entry made me laugh out loud! Too close to home, though. Wow, children really ARE romance killers, aren't they? Found you via PBN Blog Blast...
Absolutely Bananas

Becky said...

i recall the years of bc and got pregnate 4 times!! i gave up and got a tubal. no more kiddos for me! though it still does not get the kids to sleep any earlier..
found you through the blog blast! mine is up known as chocolate party. would post link but it won't come through.

Anonymous said...

Cathy, this is a wonderful post. Thanks for the heads up on the blogblast( I happened to be reading you in my Google Reader when you posted it). I got my husband to write an entry as a "guest blogger," but he's not as funny as you are! I linked to you in the post. If you ever become a stage comedienne, let me know.
Shelly

Anonymous said...

LOL Yeah, scheduling .. that part really bites - of course, praying the kid(s) keep sleeping is just as big. LOL

Found you via the Blast - mine's up as well :)

Anonymous said...

*Snicker* Sounds familiar. I'm really enjoying making the rounds on this blast.